Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Ricotta Fresh from the Microwave


Last Wednesday, I made homemade ricotta.  There is a reason I call myself the Starving Artist and that reason is I am an artist and I am starving all the time.  Wordplay!!!  So, I found a recipe online for homemade ricotta that you make in the microwave!  No burned milk stuck to the bottom of a pan!  Huzzah!  So, I gave it a try.  I think it would have been richer if I had used whole milk instead of 2%, but it was still delicious.  All you do is add about two tablespoons of vinegar to three cups of milk (I kind of made up those proportions, because the recipe I used was unclear).  Then you heat it up in the microwave until it starts to bubble.  



Then you drain it using paper towels and a colander.  I drained mine for about five minutes, cuz I really wanted to eat it, but you can drain it for as long as overnight.  It just depends on how stiff you want it to be.  I was pretty pleased with the results.  I ate it with some fettucini, a fresh tomato from my friend Russ’ garden, and some peas I had in the freezer.  Ta Da!  Not bad for a Wednesday lunch!



1 comment: