Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Some Old Drawings


I came across some old drawings today.  They're from a little project I started, but never finished.  But I had forgotten how much I liked them.  I had just started working with text, and drawing was becoming important to me again.  At the time, I was using the text mostly as a way to joke about stereotypes about women.  The text in my work these days deals with advertisement and consumerism, but these still seem really relevant to me.





This says, "Let's not have any kids, let's buy a boat instead."  This is something I used to say to my husband as a joke (sort of).  



"Do you think you could pick up the groceries, I'm beat?"  



Kind of Philip Guston-y.



 I don't know if any of you have seen any Josh Smith paintings, but I was looking at them a lot when I made these.  Actually, I'm always looking at his work.  He went to University of Tennessee for grad school, which is awesome, because I was there for four years before I came to University of Memphis.  He was kind of a hero for us there.  All that to say, he paints a lot of fish.  



Just wanted to share these with everybody.  It's interesting to look back at old stuff and see how much the work has changed but how much it's still the same.  

No comments:

Post a Comment