Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Boo-yah! Pancakes with Pancetta and Onions, Mixed Potato Hash-browns with Rosemary


So, not to brag, but my schedule is super awesome these days.  Since I have graduated, I wake up early, I paint in the morning, and I cook in the afternoon.  It's not always that routine, but this is basically what I do.  Paint and cook, paint and cook.  Now that I have a big kitchen (and not a matchbox) I can get a lot more cooking done.  And the mess is not so overwhelming when you have a dishwasher.  I've been craving breakfast for dinner, so the other night I made pancakes with pancetta and onions and mixed potato hash browns with rosemary.  It was scrumptious, to say the least.  I thought my husband was going to die when he took the first bite.  He closed his eyes and said, "this is the taste that I like most of all the tastes."  It was really funny.
Me and my mess.

Griddle pans rock.  More of my mess.
Newsflash everyone:  Bisquick has trans fat!  Make your own pancakes!  It's simple!  My recipe is adapted from the standard Joy of Cooking pancake recipe.

Pancetta and Onion Pancake Recipe
Dry Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (sift it and then re-measure it)
3 tablespoons sugar
1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

Wet Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups milk
3 tablespoons melted butter
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 small onion, diced and sautéed until soft
Diced pancetta (about 1 cup? 1/2 cup? depends on how much you like pancetta)

Let the wet ingredients sit for about thirty minutes before mixing into the dry ingredients.  Mix quickly! Don't worry about lumps.  Get a pan or griddle hot (drop some water onto it, the water should kind of bounce around.  If it just sits there and boils, it's not hot enough).  Grease a pan, don't grease your griddle.  Ladle batter onto the pan/griddle.  When you see bubbles forming and popping, go ahead and flip.

Mixed Potato Hash Browns with Rosemary Recipe

1 russet potato, julienned 
1 sweet potato, julienned
salt, pepper, rosemary (use your own discretion on amounts)

Put them on the hot griddle and cook them to death.  

So good.  SO GOOD!

No comments:

Post a Comment