Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Chicken Pot Pie

The other night I was craving chicken pot pie, so I decided to whip one up.  I thought it would take all night, but it wasn't too bad.  About two hours maybe?    I made my own pie crust, because pre-made pie crusts have TRANS FAT!  I had never made pie crust before, but it was a lot simpler than I thought it would be.  This is the recipe I used.  

The gravy in the pie is definitely the best part.  I'll admit, I ate a good bit of it with a spoon before it ever made it into the pie.  Dice a whole onion.  Cook with 1/3 cup butter in a saucepan over medium heat.  Let the onions get soft and translucent.  Stir in 1/3 cup flour, some salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and rosemary.  Let the gravy thicken and then take it off of the heat.  Here is what that looks like:
 Line the bottom of pie pan with half of the pie dough.  The inside of the pie is a mixture of cooked chicken, peas, carrots, and celery.  I didn't add celery, because I didn't have any.  Make sure to saute the carrots before you add them to the pie so they soften up a bit.  Put the filling in the pie and then pour the gravy on top.  It should look like this:
 Top the pie with the other half of the pie dough.  Press the two crusts together and fold them under.  Cut slits in the top of the dough to vent.  Because I used a couple of different recipes, I kind of made up how long to bake it and the temperature.  I baked it for about 45 minutes on 400 degrees.  It should look like this:
Voila!  Chicken pot pie.  It didn't really brown up as well as I was expecting.  Next time, I will brush it with an egg wash.  However, it was still delicious.  I couldn't stop eating it.  I think I ate about 1/3 of the pie in one go.

No comments:

Post a Comment