Friday, October 26, 2012

Chocolate-Hazelnut Banana Bread

I'm a huge fan of the magazine Cooking Light.  It's a great magazine for everyday sort of chefs, like myself.  The recipes are interesting but not outrageous.  My favorites, though, are definitely their baking recipes.  When you think of light baking, normally dry, brown, unsweetened baked goods come to mind.  The kind you try and tell yourself are yummy, but actually taste like old cardboard.  Cooking Light's baked goods are totally the opposite.  They are always delicious, moist, and perfectly sweetened.  When I saw the article on quick-breads in the October issue, I knew they would all be awesome.  So far, I've only tried this bread, because I had all of the ingredients, but I can't wait to try the Maple-Stout Quick Bread and the Kumquat Cranberry Cornmeal Loaf.

I know that this little piece of banana bread looks a bit humble, but trust me, it packs a wallop.  To quote my husband, "I don't think those pictures you took of that banana bread are good enough, I think you should make it again so you can get more pictures."

Sneaky Olie.  Very sneaky.

Chocolate-Hazelnut Banana Bread
5 tablespoons Nutella (or the knock-off, it tastes just as good)
3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon canola oil, divided
3 tablespoons softened butter
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 medium ripe bananas (I used one big banana)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (sifted and remeasured)
3/4 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup whole buttermilk (I made my own, 2/3 cups regular milk + 1 tablespoon white vinegar.  Let sit for five minutes and you're good to go)
Baking spray with flour
1/4 cup hazelnuts, coarsely chopped (I used walnuts and it was still delicious)
1 ounce bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped

Microwave Nutella and 1 teaspoon oil for 30 seconds.  Stir and set aside.

Combine 3 tablespoons oil, butter, brown sugar, and banana in a bowl or in KitchenAid mixer.  Beat on a medium-high speed until well blended.  Mine still had little chunks of banana and butter floating in it, and it was fine.

Add eggs one at a time.  Beat well after you add each egg.

Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.  Beat banana mixture on low and add alternately flour and milk, starting with the flour.  Your batter should now look like this:
Spray loaf pan with baking spray with flour.  Pour half of the batter in the loaf pan.  Drizzle the melted Nutella over the batter.  Like this:
Then add the second half of the batter.  Take a toothpick and swirl it through the batter.  Top batter with nuts, like this:
Cook in a preheated 350 degree oven for 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out with some moist crumbs clinging to it.  It should look like this:
Let the bread cool.  Take it out of the loaf pan.  Microwave the bittersweet chocolate.  Drizzle over the bread.  Mine didn't really drizzle, I spread it over like frosting.  But it still looked beautiful.  And was absolutely delicious!


2 comments:

  1. I miss the posts involving crazy lake houses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to eat everything you cook. I don't want to make it. I want you to make it for me.

    ReplyDelete