Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Epic Day, Epic Post

So, not to toot my own horn, but yesterday was an exceptionally productive day.  Which is pretty amazing, because since my brother's wedding, I've been completely exhausted.  Normally this is the sort of day that would make for 3 or 4 blog posts, but an epic day calls for an epic post.  The morning started with cleaning (always a good thing to do).  Then we hit the gym.  Then my brother-in-law came over for lunch.  This was all really great, but not picture worthy.  But then Olie left and I hit the studio and that's when it got cray.  I worked for about three hours on some new canvases.  My studio is finally starting to look like a studio.






I love having a studio in my apartment.  I'm completely left alone, which I love, and no one sees my work while its in progress.  Well, except for you guys.  I don't know, I just don't like people watching me paint.

After a day of painting, I'm tired and don't want to go anywhere, but I also don't want to sit around like a bump on a log.  I threw a little sitting-around-the-house outfit on that I was really pleased with.  I like to try outfits out around the house before I wear them out and about.









Harem Pants: American Apparel, Button-down: Polo hand-me-down, Crop-top: Made it myself, Cuffs: Urban Outfitters, Hoops: Charlotte Russe

I like this look.  It's like a slacker, a genie, and an Ivy-Leaguer met and borrowed clothes from each other's closets.

So then I made dinner.  I made Asian Eggplant with an Aromatic Jasmine Rice.  At least that's what I'm going to call it, cuz I made it up.  I don't really cook with rice much (like, ever).  I'm not really a big fan.  But I'm trying to like it.  This recipe is absolutely to die for.  Really spicy and really flavorful.  I think next time, I'll add cucumbers to it, so if you've got some cucumbers, chop them up like matchsticks and throw them in there.  Anyway, here is what I made.


Here's what I did:

Cut up a whole eggplant into small-ish pieces.  Put the eggplant in a gallon zip-lock bag and add a little soy sauce, a little Siracha sauce, and two heaping tablespoons of Chili Garlic Sauce.  You should be able to find all of this stuff in the Asian food section of your grocery store.  A word of warning: the Chili Garlic Sauce is really really really hot.  So, if you are not into hot stuff, don't use as much and just use more soy sauce.  Shake up the bag until the eggplant is completely coated with the sauce.  Set aside.

Make Jasmine Rice.  Once it is done, add a clove of minced garlic, about a tablespoon of grated ginger,  a few leaves of basil (cut into strips) and some green onions.  Mix all this up.  The rice should now smell like heaven and it should be very hard to not eat it by the fistful.  Resist.  Cover with a towel to keep warm and to keep the smell from reaching your nostrils.

Saute the eggplant until it gets all brown and caramel-y looking.  Try a bite.  It should be tender and spicy.

Top rice with eggplant.  Feel free to add cucumbers or peanuts, both of which I think I will add next time.  The cucumbers will tame the spice a bit and the peanuts will add a nice crunch.  However, it really doesn't need it.  This is a really great dish.

Then we watched Captain America and went to bed.  Whew!  Long day!

No comments:

Post a Comment