Thursday, October 11, 2012

Fish Tacos

I think I could eat Mexican food every day for the rest of my life and never get tired of it.  Olie and I were both really craving tacos the other night (even more than usual).  When I mentioned making fish tacos, he proceeded to tell me he had never had a fish taco.  Uh...........WHAT!?  So, of course I had to make them.  We completely gorged on these and then sat around in a food coma all night.  Try not to do that.  You probably won't succeed, though.
The fish itself was super simple.  Cut up Mahi Mahi into bite sized pieces.  Dredge them in milk and egg, then coat them in Panko mixed with taco seasoning.  Coat a griddle pan or saute pan with a little canola oil (the baking spray works great) and turn the eye onto medium-high heat.  Cook the fish for about five minutes on each side.  I topped each taco with refried beans, pico de gallo, and avocado.  Those recipes are below.
They're like fish sticks for grown-ups.


Pico de Gallo
4 tomatoes, diced
1 onion, diced
a ton of cilantro, chopped (can't have enough cilantro, in my opinion)
1/2 cup jalepeno, diced
1 clove of garlic, minced
juice of 1 lime
salt
pepper

Just throw all this in a bowl together and let it sit for a bit.  The longer it sits, the better it tastes.

Refried Beans
Black Beans
Salsa (or rotel, whatever is in the pantry)
salt
pepper

Heat all this up in a pot.  Then just puree until smooth.  If you buy refried beans in a can they have a ton of lard in them.  This is equally as good and much healthier.  If you have a hand-blender, this is the perfect time to get it out.  It makes refried beans really simple.  If you don't have one, go get one.  I use mine all the time.


I grilled the corn tortillas on the griddle until they started to brown.  This really enhances their flavor.  



Finished Product.  I wish I had one of these right now.  Or six, or seven.  


1 comment:

  1. A. I can't believe your husband has never had fish tacos.
    B. Come to my house and cook for me!!!

    ReplyDelete