Friday, October 19, 2012

Homemade Marinara Sauce




I hate jarred marinara sauces.  They all taste the same.  I really don't know why people buy them, because making your own is super simple.  My recipe changes depending on what is in my pantry, but it normally goes something like this:

I roast 1 whole onion and about 4 or 5 cloves of garlic with the oven on 400 degrees for 20 minutes.  I add this to a large can of whole tomatoes.  Be sure to drain the tomatoes first.  I add some olive oil, a little Tobasco sauce, some balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and red pepper flakes.  Then I just pull out my trusty hand-blender and puree until smooth.  That's it.  Delicious homemade marinara.

Here are some other things I add to my sauce if I have them around: red wine, roasted bell pepper, parmesan cheese, carrots, pesto, mushrooms, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment