Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Mexican Chicken and Rice Soup

I've been nursing a pretty bad cold this week, so cooking hasn't been at the top of my list. Mostly I've just been lying on the couch watching South Park reruns and napping. But yesterday I was craving Mexican Chicken and Rice soup, so I pulled myself off the couch to make it. It was exactly what I needed.  It's hot, steamy, spicy, and delicious. Perfect for a stuffy nose!

1.  Make pico de gallo.  Remember the recipe? It's printed here.

2.  Rub two chicken breasts in taco seasoning. Roast in a 400 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until fully cooked. Set aside.

3.  Make rice. I used brown rice cuz that's what was in my pantry.

4.  Dice a whole onion.  Sauté until soft. Add about a cup of salsa (jarred is fine, I used Pace), and 4 cups of chicken stock.  Add a bay leaf and let simmer for a bit.

5.  Shred chicken. Add to broth.  I don't add the rice to the soup, I do it at the table. Sometimes, with a lot of reheating, the rice will break down leaving starchy goo in its place. Not appetizing.

6.  Spoon rice into individual bowls. Add soup. Top with pico de gallo and diced avocado.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment