Monday, October 1, 2012

My New Favorite Chocolate Cake Recipe



Last week for my sister-in-law's bachelor party, I decided to whip up some cute chocolate cupcakes.   After perusing the Joy of Cooking I decided on the Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake recipe.  I know this sounds gross, but if you think about it, what is mayonnaise?  It's just eggs and oil.  It makes the cake super moist.  This is a super scrumptious and easy recipe and I'm gonna walk you through it.  Above is the baker's chocolate I used.  I just thought the little packaging around the chocolate was too cute, I had to share a pic.

On a side note, I have had a few baking flubs recently, hence the lack of baking posts.  I had a few with this recipe and I'm going to show them to you, so hopefully you will learn from my mistakes and not your own.  I think that lately I have just been rushing a bit when I bake.  This is a big no-no.  Many mistakes cannot be corrected, so put some music on and just enjoy the whole process.  Luckily, my flubs with this recipe were not very serious, and I was left with perfectly delicious cupcakes.  So much so that on Saturday I made this cake again, but this time as an actual cake and I added cream cheese icing (I'll give you that recipe too, it's super simple).  

Get ready for a super dope chocolate cake.  Don't be discouraged/disgusted by the mayonnaise.

Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake (from the Joy of Cooking)

Whisk together:
2 cups all purpose flour (sift the flour, then remeasure it)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Melt:
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate 

(I did this in the microwave.  This way, the chocolate won't scorch.  Still, keep an eye on it and be sure to mix the chocolate up every so often during the microwaving process.)

Set the chocolate aside.

Combine and beat on medium-high speed for about three minutes:

3 large eggs
1 2/3 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

This mixture should look light in color, like this:


Now, mix your melted chocolate with 3/4 cup mayonnaise.  This mixture should look creamy and delicious (it's not, don't taste it, trust me) like this:


Beat this into the egg, sugar, vanilla mixture.  It should look like this:


Now you are going to add the flour mixture to the batter.  Add this is three additions.  You are going to alternate with 1 1/3 cups water added in 2 additions.  So flour, water, flour, water, flour.

This is a pretty liquid-y batter, so don't be concerned.  This is what mine looked like.


Put the batter into greased pans or into muffin tins.  Cook on 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.  A tooth pick inserted into the center should come out clean.

Here is where I made a few mistakes.  Be sure not to place the cupcakes too close together because if you do, this is what happens:


Not attractive.  Also, be careful when sliding your pans out of the oven, because I dropped ALL of my cupcakes into the bottom of the oven and then I panicked and had to pull them out one by one and thought they were going to catch on fire.  Keep the pan level!  This is what some of my cupcakes ended up looking like:


However, I did end up with some beautiful and delicious cupcakes!  To make the designs, put some icing in a small plastic sandwich bag.  Then, cut one corner off of the bag (this is a tiny little cut, you only want it to be about a centimeter off or less).  Use this to decorate cupcakes.  I like to design cupcakes myself instead of buying pre-made letters or crazy candles or stuff like that.  I think if a cake is home-made it should look home-made.  People don't make stuff from scratch anymore, so be proud of the homespun look!

Oh yeah, Cream Cheese Icing!  Blend a stick of butter with a package of cream cheese.  Then add a teaspoon of vanilla.  Then slowly blend in about 3 cups of powdered sugar until it gets to a consistency and sweetness that you like.  So simple, and so delicious.  Make your own icing, because pre-made icings have TRANS FAT!  Gross!  And this is so much better anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment