Thursday, November 15, 2012

Hearty Pumpkin Muffins

I always have a batch of muffins made up.  They make for fast, delicious breakfasts. I mix up the dough, put it in individual muffin tins, and then freeze them. The dough can cook straight from the freezer.  I try to make them as healthy as possible, since Olie and I end up eating them pretty much every day.  We change out the pumpkin for other delicious additions: bananas, blueberries, chocolate chips, etc.  Use this recipe as a guide for lots of different flavors.  Go crazy!

Hearty Pumpkin Muffins

Dry Ingredients
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1 heaping teaspoon cinnamon
1 heaping teaspoon nutmeg

Wet Ingredients
2 large eggs
1 cup milk or plain yogurt (I prefer yogurt, but I don't always have it, and milk is fine)
2/3 cup packed brown sugar (regular sugar works too)
1/2 cup canola oil
1 cup walnuts, chopped
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 cup oats (I use quick oats)
1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.  Do not over mix!

Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.  If the dough is frozen, just add 5 minutes to the baking time.



No comments:

Post a Comment