Thursday, November 29, 2012

My Handy Dandy Pizza Dough pt. 1



Im a pizza fanatic. I make pizza at least once a week. What makes this possible is the fantastic pizza dough recipe I somehow found by divine intervention. I may have mentioned it once or twice? It's Jamie Oliver's recipe and it is the bomb. (Click here for recipe)

The other day I got to thinking.......this dough is so great, I wonder what else could I do with it? The answer came to me almost immediately: cinnamon rolls.  Who doesn't love cinnamon rolls?

I was a little nervous about how these would turn out.  But I shouldn't have been. This dough is amazing and it made the most delicious cinnamon rolls!  Since these were such a success, I've been trying to think of what else I can do with this dough.  More to come :)

If you saw my recipe for Pizza Rolls, the technique for cinnamon rolls is basically the same. Press your dough out into a large rectangle. Now let it rise for another ten minutes. Do not skip this part!



Melt half a stick of butter. Once the ten minutes are up, brush the dough with an even coating of melted butter (don't use it all). Now sprinkle a heavy, but even coating of cinnamon. Cover the dough with brown sugar. Now sprinkle white sugar over dough. Season with nutmeg and ground ginger. Add one more heavy coating of cinnamon. Add pecans or walnuts, if desired.

Gently roll up the dough into a log. Using a very sharp knife, cut the dough into 1 and 1/2 inch slices. Gently place on a greased cookie sheet. You may have to tighten the roll, and that's ok. If they are falling apart just smush them back together.  Brush cinnamon rolls with butter (if you haven't noticed already, these cinnamon rolls are not part of a balanced breakfast).


Place in a 500 degree oven (or as high as your oven will go, this dough requires a hot hot hot oven). Bake for about 12 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown.

 Top with cream cheese icing.  I normally make cream cheese icing with butter, but I wanted a lighter icing, so I left it out.  You just mix up 1/2 package of cream cheese, 1 teaspoon of vanilla, and powdered sugar.  Keep adding powdered sugar until you get the consistency and flavor that you want.  I added a lot.
Now that your cinnamon rolls are complete, try not to eat them all. Be sure to share. This might be difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment