Wednesday, November 28, 2012

What's in the Fridge?



We've all had those moments: there is nothing in the fridge but a few random things. Applesauce, pickles and brown rice? Sounds.........hmmm.  A lot of times, we end up getting take-out in these moments, but I find that some of my most delicious meals come out having limited (and strange) ingredients. I found myself in this predicament yesterday during lunch, and I ended up with one of my finest hodge-podge meals ever.

Normally, when dealing with limited supplies, I make a pizza. Applesauce, pickles and brown rice would probably be delicious on a pizza. Bad pizza is good pizza. But yesterday, I went for tacos. Tacos are quickly becoming a standard in the Olinger household. They are fast, fresh, healthy (most of the time), and delicious. Here is what I came up with:

Kale and Onion Tacos with Black Bean and Pumpkin Purée Topped with Spicy Greek Yogurt

Whew! That's a mouthful! (literally I was shoveling them into my mouth)

I made these tacos for myself, so all measurements are for one person.



For the kale and onion: rip the leaves off of two small stalks of kale. Chop half of a small onion into rings. Sauté until onion is soft and kale has softened, but still has a bite to it. Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg.  I cooked the kale and onion on a griddle, so I went ahead and cooked my corn tortillas at the same time.  Cook tortillas on medium heat for about 3 or 4 minutes on each side.



For the black bean and pumpkin purée: purée half of a can of black beans with a quarter of a can of pumpkin (a ratio of 2 to 1).   Season with salt, pepper, chili powder, cayenne pepper, and nutmeg. Heat on a low setting, stirring often so that it doesn't scorch.  You can add a little water to this mixture if it starts to dry out.
For the spicy Greek yogurt: place three tablespoons of Greek yogurt in a small bowl. Mix in a teaspoon of diced jalapeño, a tablespoon of lime juice, a small palm-full of cilantro, salt and pepper.

Smear black bean and pumpkin purée onto cooked corn tortillas.  Top with onions and kale and a small dollop of spicy Greek yogurt.

I was amazed at how yummy these were.  Next time you have nothing in your fridge, try and get creative.  If you need some inspiration, Google the ingredients you have and see what comes up.  These tacos are an instant classic for this Starving Artist.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness!! I don't know about any of your other readers, but that sounds absolutely scrumptious. Seriously. A must make!

    One problem - never bought a can of pumpkin in my life. Easy to fix.

    ReplyDelete