Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Coconut and Macadamia Nut Muffins


Muffins rock. Olie and I always have muffins around. I normally stick with my tried and tested flavor combinations, but lately, I've been itching to try some new ingredients. I had coconut and macadamia nuts leftover from some cookies I made, so I decided to add them to a batch of muffins.

Here's the twist: instead of milk or cream, I used canned coconut milk. This stuff is very strong and a bit fatty.  It bakes up really nicely and adds a kind of earthy taste to the muffins. I really liked how they turned out. I was kind of expecting them to taste like coconut cake, but it's a much more complex flavor. If you don't have a very adventuresome palette, you could just use milk or yogurt. But then you would be a wimp and no one would want to hang out with you.

Coconut and Macadamia Nut Muffins

Dry Ingredients
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder

Wet Ingredients
2 large eggs
1 cup canned coconut milk
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup macedamia nuts
1 cup sweetened coconut flakes

Combine dry ingredients and wet ingredients in two separate bowls.  Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix with a few swift strokes.  You don't want to over mix your batter.  Add to muffin tins and cook on 400 for 20 minutes.  You can also freeze the dough in individual muffin tins and cook straight from the freezer.  You just have to add 5 minutes to the cooking time.  Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. Those look, and sound super yummy!

    Well said by the way.

    ReplyDelete