Thursday, December 6, 2012

Creamy Tomato and Basil Soup




Last week, I whipped up a batch of tomato soup.  I love tomato soup, but had never made it before.  What I ended up doing was going through my pantry and making my recipe based on what was in there (News Flash: this is how I come up with most of my recipes!).  This is also a really cheap soup. With just a few inexpensive ingredients, I got a week's worth of delicious tomato soup.  This is perfect for this time of year.  I love being able to quickly heat up a bowl of yummy soup on a gray, rainy day.  Here's my recipe:

Creamy Tomato Basil Soup

1 lb can of diced tomatoes with juice
1 handful pepper and onion blend (this is in the frozen vegetables section, I always have a bag of this blend around)
4 garlic cloves
1 cup chicken stock
1/4 cup heavy cream
Salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, Italian seasoning
About 1 cup basil leaves

Sauté pepper and onion blend and garlic cloves on medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and stock and seasonings. Simmer until soup is hot. Add basil and heavy cream and purée until smooth. I use a handblender, but you could use a food processor. Taste and re-season if you need to.  Enjoy tons of delicious soup!



No comments:

Post a Comment