Tuesday, December 4, 2012

My Handy Dandy Pizza Dough pt. 3

I keep coming up with more and more ways to use Jamie Oliver's super awesome pizza dough. This recipe is a take on one we used to cook at Victory Ranch, a camp where I worked in the kitchen for 6 years (not that we did that much cooking, the kids wouldn't eat much more than chicken strips and macaroni and cheese). We used to make these little quiches using biscuit dough as the crust. I decided to give it a try using this pizza dough.

Mini Quiches

Make pizza dough (click here for recipe)

Tear small pieces of dough and place in the bottom of muffin tins. The dough won't line the sides, it's too elastic, so just place about a tablespoon amount of dough in the bottom and flatten it out.  Let rise for another 10 minutes. Don't skip this part!

Now prep your filling. I used spinach and tomato. I used one tomato and about a handful of spinach leaves chopped.  But get creative! Tons of different fillings would be delicious in this recipe.
Add spinach and tomato (or whatever you use) into a large bowl.  Add 5 eggs, 1/4 cup of milk, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Stir well.

Add egg mixture to muffin tins. I filled mine almost to the top. Then top with cheddar cheese.




Cook at 500 degrees (or as high as your oven will go, this dough, as mentioned before, needs a super hot oven) for about 15 minutes or until the tops are puffy and golden brown.


Now this recipe has a con ( which actually turned out to be a pro). These little quiches are better reheated. When they first come out of the oven, the dough is a bit spongey.  But when I reheated them, the dough got crispy and yummy. So, if you are going to serve these immediately, take them out of the muffin tin and let them cook a few minutes more. Or you can make them in advance and reheat them when you are ready to eat them.

I ended up taking these to a little Christmas potluck brunch that I went to the other day.  I took these spinach and tomato filled quiches and I made up a batch of sausage quiches.  Instead of running around in the morning trying to cook something, I just popped the pre-made quiches into a 400 degree oven for ten minutes.  I'm assuming they were a huge hit, since there wasn't a single one leftover.  This recipe is perfect for Christmas guests and Christmas get-togethers.

2 comments: