Thursday, January 24, 2013

Homemade Potsticker Wrappers


So, everyone remember my potstickers from a few days ago?  Well, after I made them, I got to thinking that they would be even better if I made the wrappers from scratch.  When you eat potstickers at a restaurant, the wrapper is the best part.  It's all thick and noodle-y.  I wanted that!  Turns out, they are super simple to make and totally worth the extra step.  And cheap.  It's just flour and water.  Cheaper and tastier? I'm there.

Disclaimer: as you can see from the top picture, these potstickers aren't as pretty as the ones I made with store-bought wrappers.  But they are so much yummier.  I will always opt for taste over prettiness.  Also, I kind of burned the bottoms of the potstickers.  But they still taste amazing.  So don't be afraid of a burned bottom.  (ha ha.......burned bottom.  I'm 12)

So here's what you do: mix together 2 cups of flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt.  Add 1/2 cup boiling water and stir together until combined.  Then knead the dough for five minutes.  Now the dough will be pretty warm, so be careful.  And you will think that this five minutes of kneading is a waste of time, but right at the end of the five minutes, the dough transforms into this sticky, homogenous, elastic-y dough.  Which is what you want.

Cut the dough in  half and shape each half into a log about 12 inches long.
Cut the log into pieces about 2 inches long.  Now they need to be shaped into the wrappers.  I tried shaping them with my hands (didn't work).  I ended up putting each little piece of dough into a gallon size ziploc and then using a rolling pin to roll them out (this is also my corn tortilla method, coming soon).  Since the dough is so sticky, this allows you to roll it out thin without sticking to the rolling pin and then the dough just peels away from the ziploc.  Pretty cool, huh?
Now they are ready to fill.  Here is my filling recipe.  I'm gonna be real, it's pretty good.  Feel free to use someone else's recipe.  But mine is really good.  Just saying.

Disclaimer Number 2: this dough is a lot tougher to fold.  It's very elastic, so when you stretch it, it doesn't always want to stay stretched.  I only had to throw out one potsticker though, so it's not too bad.  You might have to use a little less meat, just under a teaspoon.  As I said last time, my folding method is  not very precise.  I just fold it over like a little pie and crimp the edges.  People get really into folding dumplings though and there are tons of tutorials online for beautiful folds.

Now it's time to cook!  I cook these exactly like the potstickers made with the pre-made wrappers, but I'll re-write it here for convenience. Add a little oil to a pan (I used peanut oil, but canola oil will be fine) and heat it on a medium/high setting.  Once the pan is hot, add the potstickers.  Try to get them to stand up, but this isn't totally necessary.  Cook for about 3 minutes or until the bottoms start to brown, then add 1/4 cup water and immedietely cover with a lid.  Cook for 5 minutes more, or until the water has evaporated.  Ta-da!  Completely homemade potstickers!
I have to say, this is one of the most satisfying things I have made in a long time.  I never ever ever thought I would make these at home.  And completely from scratch!  I think you should try it just to have the satisfaction.  And for the yumminess.  Olie and I decimated these postickers in about 3 minutes.  They are good.  Worth the extra time, trust me.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my! Potsticker nirvana.

    And I think they look exactly like the ones at the restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In that first picture, the potstickers kinda look like newborn puppies. Gross, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I kind of thought the same thing. I was thinking little marsupial babies. Still.......very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. zomg, i love potstickers (a.k.a. gyoza) sooooo very much. when are we making these together?

    ReplyDelete