Tuesday, January 22, 2013

My Parent's House, Part 2: The Dining Room

As promised, here is the next post on my parent's house.  This is the dining room.  As you know, I will be moving soon and am looking to my parent's house for interior decorating inspiration/ideas.  I think the take-a-way from this room is that a little elbow grease goes a long way.  The black and white floor isn't tiled, it's hand painted by my mom (I helped a little).  Also, the blue walls have a white wash over them to give them a subtle, aged look.  These touches really make this room.  I think even the drapes were hand made.  Finding drapes that long is really hard (I know, I've tried).  If you know what you want, just do it yourself!  You end up with a much more interesting room for a whole lot less cheese.  If you missed the post on the living room, check it out here.  





3 comments:

  1. Drapes were purchased at Garden Ridge years ago - for nothing! They are sheers that were designed to be draped valance style and hang down both sides of the window. Of course, one can hang them however one wishes with the drapes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another suggestion for long drapes, that I'm actually getting ready to do myself. Twin sheets. Go to Walmart. They come in all colors. Just nip the sewn edges to get the rod through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love your parents' home. it is so homey. i can't wait to see what you and andrew's next place is going to look like.

    ReplyDelete