Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Refined Sugar and Color


I help conduct the 4th and 5th grade girl's choir at my church.  Honestly, I don't do all that much, I mainly just hang out with the girls and try to get them to think I'm cool.  In my ongoing effort to get 4th and 5th grade girls to like me (wow, that sounds really sad), I decided to take them a sweet treat this past Wednesday night.  I was in a bit of a conundrum about what I should make.  I make awesome chocolate chip oatmeal cookies, but kids don't like oatmeal.  I make a delicious chocolate cake with cream cheese icing, but cream cheese icing is too complex and delicious for ten-year-old palettes.  I finally asked Olie what kids like and he responded, "kids like refined sugar and color." Hmmmmm..... I decided to go with rice krispy treats, but made with Fruit Loops instead.  Refined sugar and color? I think I nailed it.

Now in all honesty, I didn't use actual Fruit Loops, I used the Kroger brand that was $1.99 compared to $4.99 for the name brand.  They taste exactly the same (though don't tell my mom that, my brother and I swore as children that off-brand cereal tasted different.  It doesn't).  I also used Kroger brand marshmallows that were on sale for $1.  So, all in all, this treat cost me $3.

Generic Fruit Loop Rice Krispy Treats

10 cups Fruit Loops (this was the whole box.  I bought a small box)
1 bag of marshmallows (about 60 marshmallows)
6 tbsp butter

This is super easy.  Here's what you do.

Melt marshmallows and butter in a pan on medium heat.
Ok, before I move on, is that the most glorious image you've ever seen in your life or what? Melting marshmallows and butter.  I thought Olie was going to die.

Moving on.  Once the marshmallows and butter are all melty and homogeneous, add them to the Fruit Loops and mix together.  This is kind of tough because the marshmallow goo is very sticky, but just keep at it. It takes a while for the marshmallows to set.

Now transfer to a greased casserole pan.  Grease your hands and press this mixture down to get it to spread evenly in the pan.  If you don't grease your hands, this will be a disaster.  Grease your hands.
Now just let them set.  This should take about thirty minutes tops.  After they set, be sure to cover them with foil or plastic wrap.  If you don't, they will dry out.

Then pass the bowl you mixed them in to your husband and watch him revert to a child.  Olie literally scraped the bowl with a spoon.  Here's the proof.
You can use all kinds of cereal for this.  I think Captain Crunch is next on the list, my personal favorite cereal.  Or maybe Honeycomb.  Honeycomb is the bomb.

And there you have it.  The kids went nuts for these (and also the other adults that help out).  Mission accomplished.

3 comments:

  1. This reminds me of the famous oreo pudding. Kid friendly and totally yummy.

    Glad it was a hit. And btw, I know the girls the you're cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wanna eat the melted butter and marshmallows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you :)!!! Used Boo Berry cereal for Halloween!

    ReplyDelete