Wednesday, January 16, 2013

What's the Lesson Here?


Did everyone see yesterday's post?  If you did, you know that I cooked a recipe out of Plenty, my new cookbook.  I'm hoping that with every new recipe, I will learn something: whether it be a new technique, a new flavor combination, or just that I like something I didn't know I did.  With each new recipe, I'm hoping to build and grow in some way.

So what did I learn from yesterday's new recipe?  I learned a new sauce/spice combination, that's what!  The combination of thick soy sauce, light soy sauce, sambel oelek, cumin and ground coriander was amazing.  I'm really bad at sauces when it comes to Asian food.  I have absolutely no idea what I am doing and I tend to make it up.  I was so excited about the flavor these sauces/spices made, so I decided to make my own recipe using them.  Here's what I made:

Potstickers with Spicy Bok Choy Salad (at least that's what I'm calling it)

Now, if you've ever had potstickers, you know how awesome they are.  I can eat them by the truckload.  I've made them a few times now and every time I have some issue with what I've done.  They are either too fatty or too bland.  This time, however, a little misshap led to the most perfect and amazing potstickers you have ever tasted (if I do say so myself).

I went to my local grocery to grab all of my ingredients and I found that there was no ground pork.  Hmmmm.......I asked the butcher to make some for me and she said they don't grind the meat.  So who does? It's not ground fresh?  Where does it come from?  I'm getting sidetracked, but the problem was (besides the realization that my meat is not ground fresh), no ground pork.  I was determined to make potstickers, so I grabbed some ground turkey instead.  And guess what? They weren't fatty, they weren't bland, they were awesome.  The meat takes the flavors you add to it really well and since ground turkey is so lean (I bought 93/7), your potstickers taste light and flavorful and not greasy.  Go for the ground turkey.  Trust me.

Potstickers

1 lb ground turkey
1 egg
1/4 cup onion, finely diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 inch size ginger, grated
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 teaspoon thick soy sauce
2 teaspoons light soy sauce
wonton wrappers (you can buy these pre-made or you can make them yourself.  I've never made them myself, but it doesn't look very hard)

Combine all ingredients (except wonton wrappers, of course).  Place a teaspoon of meat mixture into the center of each wonton wrapper and fold over like a little pie.  There are lots of ways to do this, mine are never very pretty, I just want them to stick.  You can wet the wrapper if they aren't sticking together. Feel free to fold in any way you like.

Heat a pan on medium/high heat with a little oil (I used peanut oil, but canola would be fine).  Once the oil is hot, place potstickers in the oil (try to get them to stand up instead of lying on their side.  This is a little difficult, and it's ok if they won't stand up).  Let fry for about 3 minutes or until the bottoms start to brown.  Add 1/4 cup of water to the pan and then quickly cover with a lid.  Cook for 5 minutes or until water has cooked off.  They're done!

Now for the salad!  I used my awesome sauce and spice combination from Mee Goreng which is 1 1/2 teaspoon thick soy sauce, 1 1/2 teaspoon light soy sauce, 1 1/2 teaspoon sambel oelek, 1 teaspoon ground coriander, 1 teaspoon cumin and about 1 tablespoon water.  I sautéed chopped bok choy in this sauce until the bok choy wilted.  I topped this with the potstickers, shredded carrots, bean sprouts, and cilantro and served a lemon slice on the side.  Ta da!  A delicious dinner!

3 comments:

  1. That's it. That's what I want. And the ground turkey - what an idea.

    P.S. I'll bet your mother would love that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks and sounds amazing... I wonder if I could talk Stuart into liking this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a feeling just about anyone could be talked into liking this.

    ReplyDelete