Thursday, February 21, 2013

Chocolate Marshmallows

Olie loves marshmallows.  Like................LOVES them.  He can eat a whole bag of marshmallows in a day.  He shoves Peeps into his mouth 2 and 3 at a time.  It's pretty impressive actually.  So for Valentines's Day, I decided to be super awesome and make him homemade marshmallows.  My plan for Valentine's Day was to have the apartment super clean, be perfectly beautiful by the time Olie got home, and have fresh, homemade marshmallows for him.  Instead, I made a mess in the kitchen, burnt tons of sugar, and fought with marshmallow goo all day.  However, I am proud to say that by the end of the day, I had created these little beauties.

Now, here's the thing, I am a Scrooge McDuck about money.  I make candy all of the time, but I still have not dropped the six bucks on a candy thermometer.  This would be a much easier recipe if I had made the six dollar sacrifice.  But for some reason, I feel I can tell temperature just by looking at something, and think I don't need the thermometer.  Which obviously I can't since I burned my first batch.  I don't think this is a skill that any human has.  So, if you want to make this recipe, use a candy thermometer.  I'm still not totally sure that these marshmallows taste how they are supposed to taste.  I might have cooked them a little too long.

Another tip, don't put the hot gooey marshmallows in a pan lined with aluminum foil.  In a perfect world, the marshmallows would come straight out of the pan, but this isn't a perfect world.  The marshmallows stuck to the aluminum foil and I spent an hour cutting it off.  Which was incredibly frustrating, to say the least.  My kitchen was very R-rated as a constant stream of curse words poured out of my mouth.

Miraculously, despite my many blunders, these turned out really well.  They are super delicious and worth the effort (just be sure to learn from my mistakes).  They are really different from the marshmallows you buy in the store.  They aren't as soft; they are like a mix between marshmallows and taffy.  The chocolate makes them really special.  It's like hot cocoa and marshmallows all rolled into one perfect little square.  

This recipe is from Cooking Light.  It was a Halloween recipe, but I added the pink chocolate to make it more love themed.  I just added a little red food coloring to some white chocolate.  Click here for the full recipe.  I won't retype it; I'm scared I'll make a mistake doing that as well and then you will all mess up as badly as I did.  But check out my beautiful photos of the few moments that I did something right!



No comments:

Post a Comment