Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Homemade Heath Bar Cake

I used to work in the kitchen of a camp, Victory Ranch.  Now most of the time we ate chicken fingers, mini corn dogs and mac and cheese, but we made some killer desserts.  This was my absolute favorite: a Heath Bar Cake.  I gotta give the credit to our head cook, Bonnie Breeden, for coming up with this gem.  However, when you're cooking for upwards of 200, you try not to make anything from scratch.  So for my Superbowl party (that didn't happen cuz my husband was sick), I decided to make a Heath Bar cake from scratch.

I had the idea to do this when I saw a post on A Beautiful Mess, one of my favorite blogs, about making caramel in a crock pot.  All you do is place a can of sweetened condensed milk in a crock pot (be sure to remove the label), cover with water, and then cook on low for eight hours.  I was intrigued, so I tried it.  The result is rich, thick caramel.  It's more like icing than caramel, but it's still delicious and perfect for this recipe.
Perhaps you all remember my go-to chocolate cake recipe?  It's made with mayonnaise and it's bumpin.  So the first thing I did was make that cake in a 9" x 14" pan.  Let the cake cool for a bit (I made it the day before).  Punch a bunch of holes in the cake with a fork and then spread the caramel over the top.  I had to heat it up in the microwave to get it to spread.



Next, top the cake with Heath Bar crumbles.

Now for the whipped cream.  I had never made whipped cream before, but all you do is get some heavy whipping cream, and then you whip it.  I used an electric mixer.  Pretty simple, right?  It took like 10 seconds, and it is so much better than the store-bought stuff.

Look at that!  That is some sexy whipped cream!  Then you top this with more Heath Bar crumbles and you're done!
This cake is super delicious.  The caramel and the whipped cream create a nice, sticky topping that I can't get enough of.  Like I said, I made this for a party that didn't happen.  Now I have all of this cake that I don't know what to do with.  Eat it, I guess.

2 comments:

  1. Somewhere I hope Miss Bonnie is smiling. Was always my favorite! Sure this version is delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is how we make the caramel for the caramel cupcakes at the cupcake bakery i work at! neatO

    ReplyDelete