Tuesday, February 26, 2013

S'mores Cookies


I don't know if you've noticed, but I've been on a bit of a marshmallow kick lately.  I'm just craving gooey, sticky marshmallow goodness.  So, the other day, when Olie mentioned making cookies, I immediately thought S'mores Cookies.

Here's the thing about cookies: I'm not a huge cookie fan.  I mean, they're good, but more often than not, they are a big disappointment.  They are either too hard, too sweet, or they have that sicky, lardy, fake-chewy taste.  You know what I'm talking about?  Maybe my cookie standards are too high, but if I'm gonna eat something bad for me, it better be delicious.  Also, most of the cookie recipes I have tried have been unsuccessful.  Perhaps it's my high cookie standards, but there is just always something not-right about them.  However, after this little cookie adventure, I've discovered that the perfect cookie recipe has been staring me in the face for the last two years: the Joy of Cooking Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe.  It's simply a good cookie.  No bells and whistles, just exactly what I imagine a cookie to be.  However, I did add a few bells and whistles of my own.  I used the Joy of Cooking recipe as a jumping off point for my S'mores Cookies.

Bonus: this is the best raw cookie dough you will ever eat.  Olie and I kind of destroyed it.  The cookie dough is always the best part, but this dough is insane.  

S'mores Cookies (adapted from Joy of Cooking)

1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar (Joy used light, but I only had dark and it was delicious. Use what you have)
1 large egg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup mini marshmallows
1 cup honey flavored Teddy Grahams (yes, I used Teddy Grahams, pretty awesome, right?)

First, combine all-purpose flour and baking soda. Set aside.

Then, beat butter, sugar and brown sugar together. Now, when, I say beat, I mean beat the crap out of it. You want this texture to be as smooth as possible, so beat it on high for about 5 minutes.  It should be homogeneous looking, light and fluffy.

Add the egg, salt, and vanilla to the butter mixture and beat until well combined.  Then, stir in the flour mixture until smooth.

Now, fold in the chocolate chips, marshmallows, and Teddy Grahams.  Try not to break up the Teddy Grahams.


Now they are ready to bake.  Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.  Spoon cookie dough onto a greased and floured baking sheet.  Cookies should be a little smaller than golf balls.

Place in the oven and cook for eight to twelve minutes. Keep an eye on them! Burnt cookies are no good to anybody.  The marshmallows may leak out a bit from the cookie.  That's ok.  Just scrape that part away.

And there you have it: delicious S'mores Cookies. Without the campfire.

No comments:

Post a Comment