Thursday, February 28, 2013

Soft Boiled Eggs

Have you ever had a soft boiled egg?  I hadn't until 2 days ago.  Like most people, I grew up on scrambled eggs, fried eggs and the occasional hard boiled egg.  I don't know what possessed me to try my hand at a soft boiled egg, but I'm so glad I did.  This may be the most delicious and easiest way to eat an egg.   As I've gotten older, eggs have become one of my favorite foods.  They are the perfect food; they go with everything.  And they are so simple to prepare (except for a poached egg, which I can't seem to get the hang of).  Now that I have discovered how awesome soft boiled eggs are, I thought I would share a little tutorial.

This is very simple to do.  Bring a pot of salted water up to a boil.  Carefully drop your eggs in.  Reduce the heat to low and cover with a lid (be sure it's a lid that fits, you need a tight fit).  Now cook for 6 minutes.  If you like your eggs a little runnier, go with 5 minutes.  While your timer is going, you can make your toast or whatever you want to eat your eggs on (a salad? a piece of pizza? a burger?honestly I could eat eggs on anything).

Once the timer is up, immediately rinse in cold water.  CAREFULLY peel the shells off.  You don't want to break into the egg because the yolk will seep out.  And that's it!

This is a really delicious and easy way to eat an egg.  The yolk is really flavorful when it is cooked this way.  I'm totally hooked.  Probably going to eat this for lunch today.  Just saying.

1 comment:

  1. I'm 51 and have never eaten a soft boiled egg. I thought they only ate soft boiled eggs in black and white movies.

    I have got to try this!

    ReplyDelete