Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Hump Day Artist: Mark Bradford

This week's Hump Day Artist is Mark Bradford.  Mark Bradford's works are mostly large in scale (many as large as 8'x12'), and are a mixture of collage and paint.  The collaged aspects are materials that Bradford finds in the streets of Los Angeles, where he lives and works.  They are then painted over, scraped out, carved into, and burned away to produce overwhelming, map-like structures.  His paintings are incredibly intricate, often including text that alludes to class and racial structures.  Here's a quote by the artist:

"I like to walk through the city and find details and then abstract them and make them my own.  I'm not speaking for a community or trying to make a sociopolitical point.  In the end it's my mapping.  My subjectivity." (mcachicago.org)

Check out more of his work at sikkemajensinsco.com

First 3 images from mcachicago.org
Last 3 from sikkemajenkinsco.com




No comments:

Post a Comment