Friday, March 15, 2013

Trying Something New: Lion's Mane Mushrooms

The best part about cooking/eating is trying something new.  I love trying a new technique, a new genre, or a new fruit/vegetable/etc.  I was at my local farmer's market the other day, and I was immediately drawn to the mushroom vender.  This guy had the most beautiful mushrooms I've ever seen.  Even though I have a slight fear of home-grown mushrooms, I decided to purchase these fluffy, furry beauties: lion's mane mushrooms.  The mushrooms grower dude (I don't know the correct term for a guy who grows mushrooms) said that they tasted like lobster cooked in butter.  Ummm............sold.  Olie isn't a big mushroom fan, so I took them to my parent's house and cooked them for my mom.
I decided to keep it simple and make them into a pasta dish.  I cut up a little garlic and some onion and sautéed them with the mushrooms.  Always a good combo, right?  I was a little disappointed with how much the mushrooms shrunk.  I guess I should have expected it, mushrooms do shrink when cooked, but they were so big and fluffy before they were cooked that it definitely took me by surprise.

I added the sautéed vegetables to some fettucini noodles (definitely my favorite pasta shape), and topped that with a little Greek yogurt, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
So what do I think of lion's mane mushrooms?  They do have a slight seafood-y taste, but it's very subtle.  The flavor of the onion and garlic really overpowered it.  Next time, I would choose milder ingredients so that the mushrooms can really shine.  Honestly, they would be delicious on their own, as a side dish.  Also, if you're not a huge mushroom fan, you should give these a try.  The texture is really soft, the flavor is really mild, and they don't have that funky, mushroomy taste that people hate/love.

Have you tried anything new lately?

3 comments:

  1. Those mushrooms don't look real. Crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right. They look like something out of a Disney movie. But speaking as the Mom, who they were cooked for, they are definitely real. And tasty.

    I wonder what they'd taste like raw. I love raw mushrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had these before and they are great cooked in a skillet like you would cook a steak with a little soy sauce, just don't over cook them. BTW the mushroom guy would be called a mycologist if he was the one to grow the mushroom.

    ReplyDelete