Friday, April 19, 2013

Chocolate, Banana, and Hazelnut Baked Oatmeal

Sometimes, we do bad things.  Like, eat mac and cheese for breakfast (done that) or buy a pitcher of margaritas (it is a better deal, but not a good idea).  This recipe is a bad thing.

I didn't mean for it to be bad.  I really didn't.  I woke up one morning last week and felt like cooking.  That's how it all started.

I decided to make myself some baked oatmeal.  That's a healthy breakfast, right?  I was going to make it a simple banana flavor.  But as I was making the oatmeal I thought to myself, "hey, I have hazelnuts in my pantry!" So, I added some hazelnuts.  Then I thought, "hey, I also have chocolate chips." So I added some chocolate chips.  Then I thought, "hey, I have Nutella." So I added Nutella.  Then I thought, "hey, I have heavy cream." So I added heavy cream.  A lot of heavy cream.

As you can see, this oatmeal got out of control very quickly.  What started as a healthy breakfast turned into a decadent, moist, almost cake-like loaf of chocolatey awesomeness.  I had good intentions.  I really did.  But it just got away from me.

If you don't make any of my recipes, you need to make this one.  Don't be fooled by its humble appearance:  it is the gooey-est, chocolaty-est, nuttiest, yummiest breakfast I've had in a long time.  This is not your typical baked oatmeal.  This is a splurge.  Perfect for a lazy Saturday morning.  Chocolate for breakfast is only acceptable on the weekends.  Though, I made it on a Tuesday.  Oops.

Oh and did I mention it takes about five minutes to slap it together?  Yeah.  This one is a winner.

Here's how to make it:

Chocolate, Banana, and Hazelnut Baked Oatmeal

1 3/4 cup oats (I used quick oats)
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
a pinch of salt
1 big handful chocolate chips
1 big handful hazelnuts
1 1/4 cup heavy cream
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp melted butter
1 banana, mashed
about 1/4 cup Nutella (the off-brands are just as delicious)

Combine first 6 ingredients (oats through hazelnuts) in a bowl.  In another bowl, combine the next 5 ingredients (heavy cream through banana).  Now add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients.

Pour half of the mixture into a greased loaf pan.  Spoon Nutella over this mixture.  It doesn't have to be even, just glob it in there.  Now add the rest of the oat mixture.  Take a toothpick and swirl through the batter.  This will give you a bit of Nutella in every bite.

Bake on 370 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes.  Once the oats have set and the edges are browned you are good to go.

Enjoy!  This heats up really well the next day.  Just cover with aluminum foil and bake until hot, about 20 minutes or so.  Or just eat it all the first day.  It's that good.

No comments:

Post a Comment