Thursday, April 4, 2013

Chocolate Chips Scones That Will Knock Your Socks Off

These are the best damn scones I've ever eaten in my life.  You have to swear when you talk about these scones. Honestly, I can't believe it's taken me this long to put these on the blog; I discovered this recipe in December.  I've tried many variations since: apricot, blueberry, blueberry and lemon, blueberry and goat cheese, cheddar and dill, maple and bacon, etc.  But the chocolate chip scones are the best.  Hands down.  They are just perfect. Don't over think it; just add chocolate chips. I think that's my new life motto. I need that on a tshirt.

I made this batch for a church brunch, and everyone gobbled them up. I was kind of hoping they wouldn't, so that I could eat the leftovers.  But no, they were all gone. Flaky bread and chocolate calls to people. At least, it does to me. And apparently also to my church choir.

Now, of course, once you try this recipe, you should try different additions.  But this is where you should start.  What makes this recipe so good?  Why is this better than other scone recipes?  The next picture will answer that question.
 Butter.  Lots and lots of butter.  A stick and a  half.  Don't skimp on this part.  Don't try and use canola oil or cut the butter by even a smidge.  If you want a healthy breakfast, eat some oatmeal.  If you are going to eat a scone, then eat a real scone.

Here's the recipe.  I found it on one of my favorite cooking blogs, How Sweet It Is.  She used cinnamon chips.  I'm sure that would be delicious too.  But remember my motto......

Chocolate Chip Scones

3 1/4 cup flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
3/4 cup cold butter
1 cup buttermilk (if you don't have any, add 1 tablespoon vinegar to 1 cup milk and let sit for 5 minutes)
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup chocolate chips

Combine the dry ingredients.  Add to your food processor.  Add the butter a little at a time and pulse until the butter is broken up into small pieces.  Add this mixture to a bowl and stir in buttermilk and vanilla.  Gently fold in your chocolate chips.  It should look a bit like this:

Now you need to kneed the dough a bit.  This is what gives you layers of butter and makes the scones so flaky.  Form into ball and cut in half.


Check out those layers!  Do you see how there are little pockets of butter throughout the dough?  That's what you want to see.

Now form each half into a circle about 7 inches in diameter.  Cut into 6 or 8 wedges for bigger scones.  I cut them into 12 wedges here for more bite-sized scones.  It's completely up to you.

Bake at 425 degrees for 13 to 15 minutes.  I find that they sometimes take a little longer in my oven.  Just keep an eye on them, you want them to be slightly golden brown.

This is my new go-to recipe for family get-togethers, brunches, etc.  It's quick, easy, delicious, and people really like them.  I generally make them the day before; they keep really well.  Don't store them in the fridge, just put them in an air tight container once they have cooled.  Of course they are also super, extra good fresh out of the oven.  You've gotta give these scones a try.  Flaky, buttery, and chocolaty.  What more could you ask for?  Ok, maybe world peace, but flaky, buttery, and chocolaty will do for now.

1 comment:

  1. Omg I had forgotten about these! How did I forget about these???

    ReplyDelete