Friday, April 26, 2013

Roasted Red Pepper, Quinoa, and White Bean Burgers


There is something about veggie burgers.  You say veggie burgers and some people think, "MMMM, Yummy!" and some people think, "Yuck."  I kind of I rock along in the middle of those two groups.  I like veggie burgers, but if I have a choice between a veggie burger and a hamburger, the hamburger wins, sorry.  However, sometimes I go through phases when all I want are hamburgers.  These phases go on for months and I cannot allow myself to eat nothing but hamburgers or my arteries would explode.  So this recipe is a great alternative.

On a side note, I recently had a school cafeteria hamburger and I thought I would die of happiness.  It was at a Memphis City Schools ArtsFest event and they had a mini cafeteria set up for our lunch.  I paid $2 for the hamburger and a bag of Jalepeno Cheetos and I was in heaven.  I should have gone back for round two.  Is there anything better than a school cafeteria hamburger?  I love the way they put the cheese on the burger and then wrap it in aluminum foil.  The cheese gets all melty and you don't even need any condiments.  Just burger, bun, and cheese.  I wrap my burgers in aluminum foil at home and then throw them in the oven for 5 minutes just to mimic that school cafeteria taste.

What was I talking about? Oh yeah, veggie burgers.  Sad to say, I don't have any super nostalgic memories with veggie burgers.  I mean.....they're veggie burgers.  But this recipe is hands down the best veggie burger you will ever eat.  I say those words a lot, but this time I really really mean it.  This burger kicks ass and takes names doing it. The beans and quinoa make it really hearty and the roasted red peppers add a great flavor.  They are sweet but also have that yummy roasted flavor that gives these burgers a more meaty, almost grilled taste.  Even if you are not a veggie burger fan, you should give this recipe a try.  Trust me.  These are bumpin'.  I'm actually making them tonight for a bunch of Olie's friends.  Normally, I wouldn't serve veggie burgers to five dudes, but this burger is the exception.

I found this recipe on one of my favorite food blogs, How Sweet It Is.  Great blog.  I also got my scone recipe from her, which is the best scone recipe ever.


Roasted Red Pepper, Quinoa and White Bean Burgers (from How Sweet It Is)



1 (15 ounce) can canellini beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup cooked quinoa
1/2 cup chopped roasted red peppers (if using jarred, try to soak up some of the liquid with a paper towel)
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon onion powder (I don't keep this around, so I just grated a tiny bit of onion)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon flour
3 tablespoons olive oil
buns
toppings: avocado, tomato, extra roasted red pappers, bacon, etc.

In a small bowl, mix together bread crumbs and spices.

Place beans in a large bowl and mash coarsely with a fork.  Add quinoa, garlic, and roasted red peppers  and mix well.  Add in bread crumb mixture and egg and mix.  Then add flour.  Get this all good and mixed up.

Form into 4 or 5 equally sized balls.  Press into a patty.  Heat a skillet on medium/high heat and add the olive oil.  Cook burgers on the skillet for about five minutes on each side.

Now just add your toppings and bun and you are good to go.  These are pretty filling, so I would keep the side dishes pretty light.  A small salad would be good, or maybe just some fruit.  The burger is the star.

2 comments:

  1. I kinda think I have to try these! Especially since I've discovered quinoa.

    5 dudes huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    We’ve recently launched the website RecipesUS.com. It’s a search engine that aims to gather all the best recipes from US websites and blogs in one place. We’ve noticed that you have a lot of great looking recipes on your blog that we would love to feature on our site. To read more about how it all works and to sign up with your blog, please visit: http://recipesus.com or send us an email on info@recipesus.com. We look forward to hearing from you!

    Kind regards,
    Senka

    ReplyDelete