Monday, April 22, 2013

Sweet Potato Cakes


So, if you haven't noticed, I'm obsessed with the cookbook Plenty, by Yotam Ottolenghi.  Every recipe I've tried has been absolutely delicious.  These sweet potato cakes are no exception.  This dish is very simple and very versatile.  You can eat these sweet potato cakes either sweet or savory.  We ate them for dinner and then for breakfast the next day; the mixture keeps really well in the fridge.  It also kind of scratches the pancake itch that I get from time to time.  Win, win, win win win win.

Ottolenghi has a yogurt sauce that goes with it, but honestly, I wasn't crazy about it.  Olie ate them with Siracha instead, and he loved it.  At breakfast I put a little honey on them.  They would probably be even better with a little maple syrup on them.  Or some good old ketchup!  So save yourself some time and don't make the yogurt sauce (I'm not going to write it, but I'm sure you could find it with some crafty google-ing, if you are interested).

Sweet Potato Cakes by Yotam Ottolenghi

2 1/4 lbs peeled sweet potatoes, cut into large chunks
2 tsp soy sauce
a little less than 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
3 tbsp chopped green onion
1/2 teaspoon finely chopped red chile
butter for frying

Steam your sweet potatoes until soft, the place in a colander and let drain for at least an hour.

Mix the rest of the ingredients (except butter) and the potatoes together in a large bowl.  Don't overmix. It should be sticky.  If it is runny add a bit of flour.

Melt your butter in a pan.  Use a tablespoon to lift sweet potato mixture.  Press into a disk about 2 inches in diameter and 3/8 of an inch thick (mine were a bit thicker than this, and they were still delicious, so don't worry if yours aren't perfect).

Fry on medium heat for about 6 minutes on each side, or until it is nice and brown.  Place between two paper towels to get a little of the excess butter off.  Serve warm with your choice of condiment.

I fried up some eggs to go with my sweet potato cakes (notice my broken egg in the top picture.  I hate breaking eggs, but they still taste delicious.  Waste not, want not).  For dinner, we ate them with black-eyed-peas and a salad.  Two great meals.

Do you make any cakes like this? Latkes? Zuchinni cakes?  Now that I've made these, I want to give some other variations a try.  Any suggestions?


(Pro tip, via my grandmother who makes the best fried eggs, use butter and cooking spray to fry your eggs.  The butter adds flavor and the cooking spray makes for easy flipping).

(Quick pic of how we ate them at dinner.  This was a very hearty vegetarian meal.)

1 comment:

  1. That right there is a beautiful plateful full of yumminess.

    I can't wait to make these.

    ReplyDelete