Friday, April 12, 2013

Trying Something New: Quail Eggs

I'm always looking for new ingredients to try.  I'm not one of those people who gets intimidated by a weird looking vegetable or a strange combination.  It could be the most delicious thing in the world, right? You don't know unless you try it.  I can't say there are many things I don't like, though, so I'm not taking much of a risk.  However, I recently tried fried chicken livers, and they were one of the grossest things I've ever eaten.  Still......I'm glad I tried them (sort of, they were really nasty).  But you never know, chicken livers could have been my new favorite food.  But they're not.  They're gross.  Save your taste buds, and just trust me on this one.

So as I was walking through my local Vietnamese grocery the other day, I spotted these adorable little eggs.  Now, I love eggs.  I love eggs so much that I'm afraid to get my cholesterol checked at the doctor.  I love eggs almost as much as I love donuts (have I told you how much I love donuts? well, it's bad, I'm crazy about them).  So when I saw these little quail eggs were $1.59 for 10, I picked them up.  I didn't know what I was going to do with them, but they were too adorable not to buy.  And too cheap.

I came home and began scouring the internet for recipes involving quail eggs.  Most of them included meat, and I'm not a big meat eater.  I like it, I just don't eat it that much.   All of the other recipes seemed really complicated, and I wasn't in the mood for something complicated.  Complicated recipes generally aren't worth the time.  Maybe I'm just lazy.  Anyway, I finally found a baked quail eggs recipe, which I altered a little bit for my own preferences.  So here is what I made:

Spicy Baked Quail Eggs with Tomato, Cream, and Cheddar

Here is what it looked like:

Pretty delicious looking right? I only made enough for me, so just multiply the recipe by how many people you are serving.

You will need 6 quail eggs, 1 red chile (chopped pretty fine), 1 Roma tomato (sliced), a little heavy cream, and a little cheddar cheese.

Grab a muffin tin.  Grease two of the individual muffin tins.  Place two slices Roma tomato at the bottom of the muffin tins.  Crack three eggs into each muffin tin.  Be careful, this is the hardest part, the shells just don't want to crack.  Look how tiny the eggs are!

Now add half of the chile to each muffin tin.  Pour about 1 to 2 tablespoons heavy cream in each tin.  Top with a little cheddar cheese, salt, and pepper.

Bake for 10 to 15 minutes in a 350 degree oven.  I cooked mine for 15, but I would cook it a little less next time.  My yolks were a little too hard.

Let the eggs cool for about 5 minutes.  Use that time to make some toast.  Slide a knife around the rim of the muffin tins to loosen the eggs.  Remove with a spoon and place on top of your toast.  Top with a little cilantro.  That's it!

So? Quail eggs? What do I think?  Hmmmm......

Well, I probably wouldn't buy them again.  Not that they aren't tasty, they just aren't that different from regular eggs.  They have a slight earthiness to them, but its very mild.  I saw a lot of recipes for Scotch Eggs using quail eggs, and I think that would be pretty tasty.  But, for now, I'll stick with good old chicken eggs.

Have you ever had quail eggs? How did you eat them?

1 comment:

  1. Heck I will just make that recipe with regular ol' egg eggs.

    And what are Scotch eggs? Gotta go look that one up.

    ReplyDelete