Thursday, May 2, 2013

Chocolate Tacos with Ice Cream and Peanuts


So, if you don't have the May issue of Cooking Light, stop what you are doing, get in your car and go get it right now.  I've been a Cooking Light subscriber for years, but I often just flip through the magazine to get ideas/inspiration and only make a few actual recipes.  However, I've already made three of the recipes from this month's magazine and there are about ten more I am dying to try (Microwave Meatloaf!? Are you kidding me!?).  And there is a whole article just about tacos.  That's where this little gem came from.

I love tacos in all shapes, sizes and forms.  I think anything you put on a tortilla just tastes better.  So when I saw this recipe, I knew I had to give it a try.  It combines my two favorite things: baking and tacos.  And ice cream.  And chocolate.  Ok, this recipe is a lot of favorites.

This recipe is great for non-bakers.  The actual baking part is really easy.  Also a plus: these are really cheap to make.  I'm always a fan of anything I can serve to company that isn't expensive but looks really impressive.  These are also just really fun to make.  Except for when I burned my fingers shaping the chocolate taco shells.  That wasn't super fun.  You balance the hot shells on wooden spoons and shape them around the spoons.  It's kind of hilarious, actually.
Now, the shells are very delicate.  As you can see above, I cracked one of them by my overzealous shaping.  Be gentle with the shell.  When you shape them, use a paper towel as a barrier between your fingers and the shell.  I didn't do that.  Learn from my mistakes.  They are more flexible when they are piping hot, but burnt fingers are not the goal here.

I had a bunch of Olie's friends over the other night for dinner and I made these for desert.  Needless to say, they totally destroyed them.  I had one left over, but that was because no one wanted to be the guy who ate the last Chocolate Taco (a couple of guys kept opening the freezer just to look at that last taco.  It was cracking me up).

I made this recipe by the books, but you could definitely change it up a bit.  I think my next ice cream tacos will have strawberry ice cream in the middle and be coated in pistachios.  I also want to do a vanilla shell with chocolate ice cream, but that is going to take some experimenting.

Click on the link below for the full recipe.  Disclaimer: I had to add a little extra milk to my taco shells.  The recipe calls for 1 teaspoon, but my batter was still really dry.  I think I added more like 3 or 4 teaspoons.  My shells were still very delicious.  So if your batter is too dry, just add a little more milk.

For the full recipe, go to:
http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/chocolate-tacos-ice-cream-50400000127528/

2 comments:

  1. Gee! I wonder if these could be made for someone's birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how do i eat this now k thx.

    ReplyDelete