Thursday, June 27, 2013

Asian Salmon with Grilled Bok Choy and Spicy Rice

I made this the other night for a quick, healthy dinner.  I was so pleased with the results that I thought I would share it here on the blog.  It's hard to tell what it going on in the picture, cuz there is a lot going on in this dish.  However, even though there are a lot of ingredients, it is surprisingly easy and quick to make.

I really love Asian food and I'm finally getting to the point where I can make it at home.  If you know some good sauce combinations, you can make unlimited delicious, Asian-inspired meals.  My favorite go-to Asian ingredients?  Soy sauce, Sambel Oelek, and ginger.  If you have those three ingredients in your dish, it's going to taste awesome.  Sambel Oelek is a chili garlic sauce that most major grocery stores carry.  It costs about $3 and it's awesome.

I was craving Pad Thai when I made this, which is why I added the peanuts and the cilantro.  Cilantro makes everything tastes better.

Asian Salmon with Grilled Bok Choy and Spicy Rice (this is enough for two people)

Make enough rice for two people (I use a rice cooker, so I just made one scoop of rice).  When the rice has finished cooking, add one big tablespoon of Sambel Oelek, 2 big squirts of soy sauce, 1 inch piece of ginger (grated) and two shallots (minced).  Set rice aside.

While your rice is cooking, grill about 4 stalks of bok choy.  I grilled mine inside on a griddle pan, but if you've got time, grill it on a charcoal grill.  Very tasty.  Let it grill for about ten minutes on each side. Pull off the griddle pan/grill and top with salt and pepper.

Brush 1 piece of salmon (or two small pieces) with soy sauce.  Add about one tablespoon of peanut oil to a saute pan.  If you don't have peanut oil, canola will be fine.  Heat pan to a medium/high heat.  Saute fish for five minutes on each side.

Grab your plates.  Add a scoop of rice, your bok choy and a piece of salmon.  Top with peanuts, cilantro, chopped carrots and some cole slaw mix.  Garnish with a lime.

This dish comes together really fast and tastes great.  You could also use soba noodles instead of the rice.  Or make more bok choy and have a carb-free version (though if  you read my blog, you probably aren't watching carbs).

1 comment:

  1. I wonder if I could make that.

    Asian food intimidates me, but you make it sound so easy.

    ReplyDelete