Monday, June 17, 2013

Beach Bum







I just came back from a week-long trip to my favorite place: Destin, Florida.  The beach is the most relaxing, beautiful, and fun place in the entire world.  At least, I think so.

What is it about going out of town that makes you want to buy a bunch of new things?  Normally, in preparation for a beach trip, I would have bought a new swimsuit, a new cover-up, and a ton of make-up products that I "needed." This trip, I decided not to do any of that.  The only thing I bought for this trip was sunscreen.  Ok, I'm lying, I did buy these adorable sunglasses.  But only because they were $10 and I can't find my other pair.  I think they got lost in the move.

What did I get out of this little exercise in self-control?  I learned that my wardrobe is actually more inclusive than I give it credit.  I learned to get creative.  Most importantly, I learned that a button-down is the most perfect beach cover-up of all time.  Think about it: you can wear it so many different ways.  You can wear it buttoned up for modesty.  For a sexier look, you can wear it open.  You can tie it up for a super cute, 1950's look.  You can tie it around your waste if you're not feeling so great about your butt and you can throw it over your shoulders prepster style when you feel them starting to burn.  Um....need I say more?  And, if you wear one in a thicker cotton, they don't get weird looking when they get wet.

This look here was my go-to beach look this past week (I had another super cute one as well, but more on that later).  Once I got to the beach, I took off the shorts and I was good to go.  The braid kept my hair in place, and the hat kept my scalp from getting burned and me from getting a headache.  And I threw in the hair scarf for some extra sass.

Do you have any tips on being super-cute at the beach?  What's your go-to look?

Shirt: Gap (men's), Shorts: Cut-offs that I made from an old pair of Olie's jeans, Swimsuit: Old Navy, Scarf: Thrifted, Hat: Target, Sunglasses: Urban Outfitters

1 comment:

  1. I hope you left the beach intact. We're heading out to Destin today :D cya guys in a week

    ReplyDelete