Thursday, June 6, 2013

Kitchen Classics: Blueberry Muffins

There are some foods that everyone loves.  Mom's spaghetti, grilled cheese burgers, chocolate chip cookies.  With this fervent love comes almost impossible expectations.  Is there anything more disappointing than a bad hamburger?  Since I started seriously cooking around 19, I have found that oftentimes the most classic recipes are the hardest to make.  The blueberry muffin is no exception.

On a side note: I consider myself something of a muffin master.  I make super awesome muffins.  I love experimenting with different flavor combinations and somehow they always turn out really great.  But alas, I can never make a good blueberry muffin.

I've tried probably a dozen recipes.  Both Ina and Paula have let me down.  I've made up my own.  Also disappointing.  I had almost given up the cause.  Maybe blueberry muffins were something that I just couldn't make.  An it's-not-you-it's-me kind of thing.  Maybe I wasn't worthy to make good blueberry muffins.  However, I woke up the other morning with a strange blueberry muffin optimism.  A quick google search and I came across Martha Stewarts's blueberry muffin recipe.

How could I forget about Martha?

Most muffin recipes are basically the same.  But this one looked different.  It was made more like cake than like muffins.  So I decided to give it a try.  Boy, am I glad I did.

These are blueberry muffins.  When you think of a blueberry muffin, this is what you think of.  The crust is almost crunchy and the inside is soft and fluffy.  They take a little extra work, but they are worth the effort.

So, after years of searching, I have found my blueberry muffin recipe.  And yes, it's a very good thing.

Blueberry Muffins (by Martha Stewart)

6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for tins
3 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups sugar, plus more for sprinkling
1 large egg
2 large egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup milk
1 3/4 cups blueberries

In a large bowl, sift together your flour, baking powder and salt.  Set aside.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat your butter and sugar on a medium speed for about 5 minutes.  You want this to form a light, off-white mixture.  I had to scrape the sides of my mixer a few times and beat it a little longer than 5 minutes.

Add egg, egg yolks, and vanilla.  Beat until combined.  Reduce the speed to low.  Alternate adding flour mixture  and milk, beginning and ending with the flour.  Your mixture should be thick, almost like cookie dough.

Now gently fold in your blueberries with a large wooden spoon.  
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Grease a 12 muffin tin with butter.  Don't use cooking spray.  We're using butter today.  I mean, it's a blueberry muffin.  Fill tins.  I filled mine to the brim.  Go crazy.
Sprinkle the tops of the muffins generously with sugar.  Once again, go crazy.  This is not a healthy breakfast.  
Bake for about 30 to 40 minutes until the tops are golden brown.  Once they are done, let them cool for a few minutes in the tin before you remove them.  And there you have it: perfect blueberry muffins.  These take a little longer to make than traditional muffins, both hands-on and in the oven, but they are so worth your time.  Perfect for a lazy Saturday or for a family brunch.  Or for you to make for yourself and then eat too many because no one is watching.  Don't worry, I did the same thing.  

3 comments:

  1. I want these too. Actually, I could just eat the batter.

    Pretzel dogs. Blueberry muffins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL stuart.

    i need these muffins in my belly asap.

    "everyone knows that the best part of the muffin..is the top..."-30rock

    ReplyDelete