Monday, August 19, 2013

Pickled Nectarine and Mozzarella Salad

I did something the other night that I had not done in a long time: I made dinner.  Like.....a real dinner.  Not tacos, not pizza.......... a real meat and two veg dinner.  I was very proud of myself.  Since I started working full time, I have really slacked off in the cooking department.  Also, I think I have mentioned my recent cooking rut.  I just haven't felt creative lately.  I literally can't think of anything to make for dinner.  So, to motivate myself, I decided to start subscribing to Bon Appetit.  I thought a new magazine would get my cooking brain working again.  That's where I came across this tasty little salad.

Now, to be perfectly honest, I'm not much of a salad person.  They are yummy, but they take a lot of effort.  It's all the chopping; it just drives me nuts.  But this one was very simple.  I only had to chop the nectarines and the onion, which took about 2 minutes, and then I just tossed it all together.  That's my kind of salad.

I paired this with some bar-b-q chicken legs and corn on the cob.  The bar-b-q sauce was homemade and, frankly, pretty amazing.  I'll share it with you soon, I want to tweak it just a little bit before I post it.
This salad calls for burrata, which is a very soft, fresh mozzarella, but I couldn't find it.  To be fair, I only looked at one grocery store, but I'm not driving all over town for cheese (wow, I sound really lazy.  I hate chopping and I won't check more than one store for cheese.  I need to get my life in order).  But it was perfectly delicious with the fresh mozzarella.  Also, my husband (the weird cheese-hater) ate it sans-cheese and he practically licked his plate clean.  So, don't stress over the cheese.

(Speaking of Bon Appetit, has everyone seen their list of top 50 best new restaurants in the U.S?  Shout out to Hog and Hominy for making the list!  What a well-deserved honor!  Memphis pride, what what!)

Click here for a link to the original recipe.  Here is what I did:

Pickled Nectarines and Mozzarella Salad (adapted from Bon Appetit)

2 nectarines, thinly sliced
1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1 tsp sugar
2 cups fresh spinach
2 cups fresh arugula
1 cup fresh mint leaves
8 ounces fresh mozzarella, torn into bite-size peices (use burrata if you can find it)
salt and pepper
Olive oil


Combine nectarines, onion, vinegar and sugar in a bowl.  Let sit for ten minutes.  Toss with spinach, arugula, mint, and mozzarella.  Place salad on plates.  Drizzle with about 1 tablespoon olive oil.  Season with salt and pepper.


That's it.  Seriously.  So easy and so yummy.

2 comments:

  1. Nectarines. I love nectarines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This whole dinner looks delicious by the way.

    ReplyDelete