Sunday, October 20, 2013

Hog and Hominy's Pasta with Chorizo and Chickpeas


So........if you're a Memphian, you have doubtless heard a lot about Hog and Hominy.  One of Memphis' newest and most exciting restaurants, they were also in the running for Bon Appetit's The Hot Ten: Best New Restaurants in America in 2013.  I've only eaten there once, but it was an unforgettable meal (anyone who can make collard greens as well as my mom must be a genius).  They are known for Southern comfort food with an Italian twist. And for a love of pork (most Memphians fall into this category).

I was so excited to see one of their recipe's in the September issue of Bon Appetit, and knew right away that I had to make it.  To be fair, I was a bit wary.  Chorizo and pasta?  Hmmmmm.......  But it was delicious!  It's not weird, or trying too hard, it's just a great twist on classic pasta with meat sauce.  The chick peas are a really nice touch.  And it was so easy to prepare.  I love meals that I can just slap together as a sort of afterthought.  I love to cook, but I don't like to kill myself in the kitchen.  I definitely prefer the eating to the cooking.

Give this recipe a try.  It was a very inexpensive dish (in true Southern form) and a great change from my normal pasta dishes.  Go to bonappetit.com for the full recipe.

Oh and don't forget the lemons!  I completely forgot to serve this with lemon zest and I think it really would have brightened up the flavors.  A little lemon zest makes everything better.

No comments:

Post a Comment