Tuesday, October 8, 2013

House Tour: The Living Room


Decorating a house is a real challenge.  My husband and I moved about 4 months ago into a great little rental house (buying a house is way too grown up for me).  Since moving, we've been steadily working towards making this house our own.  This is the first place we've lived in where we could paint, where we have a yard, and where we actually have enough room to move around (our first apartment was like a closet.  It was teeny-tiny).  Putting this place together has been a ton of work, but a ton of fun.

Our house is by no means "done." There are still a lot of areas that need work, and tons of projects that I have planned. However, I'm finally to a place where I'm feeling really pleased with our home. So I thought I would share what we've done so far with you!

Today, I thought I'd give you a peek into our living room. This is, without a doubt, my favorite room in the house. It also just recently came together. We had been saving up for a while for a new couch (mucho dinero) and a new rug (not as much dinero, but still a decent amount of dinero). There was also an entire corner devoted to cords. Our internet router will only work in one specific area of our house, and it is a very inconvenient area (see the mirror on the floor in the picture above?  Behind that is a huge mess of cords).  Since this room took the longest to put together, I'm definitely pretty proud of it. 

(Disclaimer: my house is very dark, so photographing it is a bit of a challenge.  This room is probably the brightest in the house, and it's still so dark!)

I'm in love with our couch.  I had always had it in my head that we would get an orange couch, but I instantly fell in love with this mustard color.  My mom and I picked out the rug and the couch on the same day in the same store (Macy's).  I think they are a match made in heaven.



The blanket on the rocking chair was knitted by my great-grandmother.  I love the orange chevron mixed with the blue chevron on the rug.  Normally I wouldn't place two similar patterns so close together, but I like it.  You gotta break a couple of rules, or it just gets boring.

I'm a big fan of simple things.  I think the best way to make a house pretty is to simply add some candles and flowers.  It's an easy way to make it feel special.  We burn candles all the time here.  If you're a Memphian, head to Garden Ridge.  They have really cheap candles. (Is Garden Ridge just a Memphis thing?  I think it might be.)

Our house is really small, so we wanted it to be consistent from room to room.  A lot of the colors get repeated (gray, orange, yellow).  And we have these big, round Christmas lights in almost every room.  We used these lights for our wedding and have been using them ever since.  They add a really nice, warm glow.  Also, Olie built these low shelves not only for this room, but for the bedroom and guest bedroom as well.  The two floor pillows were made by me.  I fell in love with that fabric, and they were one of my first projects on my new sewing machine.

A lot of Olie's video game stuff is sprinkled throughout this room.  I never want to be one of those wives that hides their husband's stuff in a closet.  This is his house too! (if it were up to me, every room would be hot pink or red).  I try to make it a part of the decoration.  This has been a big challenge as a lot of video game consoles are just big black boxes.  But the old Super Nintendo console and games were so fun to put out.
And that's our living room!  Stay tuned for more tours to come!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my!!!! What stunning, and very personal room. This is is amazing!! You did such a great job. This should be in a magazine. Two chevron patterns together. Nifty.

    Kudos on a job well done. Can't wait to see the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been over in too long--but this looks awesome! GO YOU for making those pillows! I love them!!

    ReplyDelete