Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Soup's On! Herbed Zucchini Soup


So.........I made soup.

This may not seem like a big deal to you, but soup is just not something that I make.  I make chili.  Chili  doesn't count.  Its in its own category.  Its own amazing, beautiful, scrumptious category.  And then there is soup.  Soup just seems kind of, I don't know, boring.  But soup is a common denominator all over the world.  Everyone makes soup.  Soup, bread, and beer.  Does any culture not make soup?  (This isn't rhetorical, I'm genuinely asking.  I sure can't think of any).  Got any leftovers?  Throw them in a pot with some stock and you have soup.  Ta da.  You are awesome.

I've had a realization my lack of soup making is a huge problem in my life/diet/kitchen-prowess.  Soup may seem boring, but when you think about it, is there anything more comforting than a bowl of soup? (the answer is yes, mac and cheese, but just work with me here). Also, soup gets better the more times you heat it up.  I can make a big batch, and just eat on it for the rest of the week.  A little effort for a big reward.  Therefore, I have decided I make soup now.

And it's October.  Oh yeah.  It's soup time.


Herbed Zucchini Soup (I added "herbed" to the title, because it sounded pretty lame to just say "zucchini soup." Kind of a ho-hum title.  "Herbed" makes it sassy!)

Here's the thing about soup.  The ingredients can vary.  The amounts can vary.  Just take this recipe as more of a suggestion than a recipe.  Then go crazy.

First, you have a choice.  You can be super cool and make your own stock, or you can be super lame and buy the boxed stuff.  Or even worse, the powder stuff.  (Now, to be fair, I have bought both of these items.  But, if you are going to make a good soup, you should make your own stock.  You can do it, you're super cool.)

So, you've made the correct choice and made stock.  (Click here for my chicken stock recipe).  I used about 6 or 7 cups of chicken stock.  Now you should slice up about 6 zucchini, a whole onion, and crush a couple of cloves of garlic.  Saute these veggies on medium-high heat with a little olive oil.  Let them get a little brown on each side.  Then, deglaze your pan with a little white wine.  Toss these veggies into your awesome, homemade stock.

Add a big bunch of cilantro and about half of a bunch of parsley (I'm obviously being very exact here).  Throw in a decent amount of salt, some cumin, white pepper, black pepper, and paprika (like I said, exact).  Now you're soup needs to be pureed.  I tried to transfer it to a food processor.  That didn't go well.  Soup explosion.  Not pretty.  Use an immersion blender instead to get it nice and smooth.  Taste and see what you think.  It may need a bit more salt.  Especially if you made your own stock (which, you did cuz you are cool).

Now, for the last step.  I hate to even say this online, because I was totally hiding this ingredient from my dairy-hating husband.  Pour a bit of heavy cream into your soup.  Not much, just about 1/4 cup.  This brightens the color and gives it a nice creaminess.  If you have a dairy-hating spouse/boyfriend/neighbor/whatever they won't notice.  Mine didn't.  Sorry Olie.

And now you have made soup.  Pretty awesome soup, I might add.  I'm really feeling this whole soup thing.  Get ready for some crazy concoctions.  However, if I'm gonna be making soup I need some sassy bowls.  These red ones just aren't cutting it.

Y'all have fun making soup, I'll be bowl shopping!

2 comments:

  1. Delishh. I've made a zucchini soup before similar to this one except after pureeing (is that a word?) I added uncooked rice and let it cook. Oh man. Amazeballs. It tastes like the whole cream container is in it. Might be a good idea for a dairy-free man like yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well now I just want soup - with some rice in it! I do make an excellent mexicali chicken and rice soup. May have to bust that out soon.

    ReplyDelete