Monday, October 28, 2013

Yeasted Brown-Butter Waffles


When you think about homemade waffles, what comes to mind?  For me it's a fun Saturday morning activity that I pay for the rest of the day (multiple naps from too much food, too many dishes to wash, and waffle batter everywhere).  However I recently discovered a waffle recipe that takes all of the con out of pulling out the old waffle iron.

1).  This waffle batter is made in stages.  You start it the night before, as it needs to sit for 8 to 12 hours.   All you have to do in the morning is whisk in 2 eggs and a little baking soda.

2).  This batter is light, spongey, and yeasty as opposed to dense and sugary.  We're talking tons of flavor without all the weight.

3).  I don't really have a third thing.  These waffles are just awesome.

I found this recipe in the November Bon Appetit (I've been loving my recent subscription, as you can obviously tell).  I was immediately intrigued by the addition of the yeast to this batter, and wondered what it would do the the flavor/texture.  The answer: a lot!  These waffle's light texture and complex flavor all come down to the yeast.  This recipe is different enough to make it special, but still classic. Since most of the work is done the night before, this is the perfect breakfast for company.  You can just wake up and look like a super awesome host as you quickly whip up homemade waffles.  Be sure to look as beautiful as possible while you do this.  Let's be that person.

Olie thinks these taste exactly like Waffle House waffles.  It's been a while since I've had Waffle House, so I couldn't tell you if he's right or not.  But I do know that these waffles are crispy on the outside, spongey on the inside, and super easy to make.  The leftovers also toast up really well in the oven.  So, in theory, you could make them a few days in advance and look like an even more amazing host!  You'll be like Molly Weasly; these waffles will appear out of no where!  I think I just planned your Sunday brunch.  For the next 20 or so Sundays.

Check out the full recipe at bonapettit.com

No comments:

Post a Comment