Tuesday, November 26, 2013

My First Thanksgiving

This weekend, I hosted my first Thanksgiving.  Yes, I know, it's not officially Thanksgiving yet, but my family decided to do it early, which was really nice.  To be honest, I was a bit stressed, mainly about the turkey.  I had never roasted a turkey before (yikes!).  But thanks to this article, it was a great success!  Everything came off without a hitch (ok, maybe the fire alarm went off, but besides that....).

On a related note, I love the internet.  I found almost all of my Thanksgiving recipes online.  I kept everything simple; turkey, mashed potatoes, mac and cheese, salad, cake.  My mom brought the dressing and green beans, and my grandmother brought the rolls and this cranberry goo that she makes every year that is absolutely fantastic (canned cranberry sauce, canned pineapple, pecans, and lemon jell-o.  It's very 1950's but very delicious).

For dessert I looked to the master: Martha Stewart.  I made her Sweet Potato and Bourbon Bundt Cake.  I made some homemade whipped cream to go with it, and I added just a touch of bourbon.  Very delicious.  I'll probably do that from now on.  If you don't know what to make for Thanksgiving, definitely go with this cake.  And go ahead and make it today.  It just gets better as it sits.  The glaze soaks in and makes the cake very moist.  I ate the last peice this morning and it was sooooooo goooooood!
I decided not to decorate for the event.  I had visions of pumpkins everywhere, handwritten place cards, and a table setting that would make Pinterest explode.  But, for the sake of my sanity, I chose to spend $10 on flowers instead.  I did make some cloth napkins, but that was mostly because I didn't think it would be appropriate to serve Thanksgiving dinner with paper towels.  But I almost did it anyway.

All in all, I think it went really well.  As I've mentioned before, I'm trying to be more zen about hosting.  So what if the fire alarm goes off?  Or even if the turkey burns to a crisp?!  You can always order pizza.  As long as there is food, family, and plenty of beer, we will have a good time.  Now, it's time to stuff my face with leftover mashed potatoes and make stock with my turkey carcass (yes, I said carcass).

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love that you said, "carcass." Seriously, though, brava on the bird. It looks perfect. If I liked cake, I'm betting the Bundt would look amazing, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Frankly, I'm jealous of that carcass. Stock for days.

    ReplyDelete