Monday, November 18, 2013

Winter Warrior


Here I am, winter 2012, covering up my dry, flaky skin.  I love winter.  I love cold mornings, wearing multiple socks and sweaters, nights by the fire and anything holiday related.  But there is a downside to winter: the skin and hair freakout.  I had never experienced this until last winter.  All of the sudden, my skin was super dry and flaking while also super zitty.  My scalp was itching like crazy and my lips looked like a mummy's.  I went into beauty product overdrive.  And by the time spring rolled around, I had my routine down.  Now that it's getting cold again, I'm ready to baby my skin, hair and body.  Watch out winter dryness!  I'm now a Winter Warrior!

I was reading an article on this very topic the other day and was shocked to see that every beauty product they recommended were over $40.  Umm...........no.  That's not how I roll.  We have too many other things we need to buy this time of year (gifts, travel, large amounts of peppermint bark).  All of the products I have here are under $15.  And they work.

1.  The ultimate classic: Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream.  I've learned through my years of trying product after product that some things are classic for a reason.  This lotion is super rich and very moisturizing.  Yes it's $14, but it's a huge tub and it lasts forever.  Smear it on your cuticles and elbows as well as your face.  My husband also swears by it for moisturizing after a shave, so pick one up for you and one for the dude in your life.

2.  This one was a great find: Skin Obsessions Balancing Facial Oil.  I'm sure you've heard all of the recent buzz about facial oils.  They are super trendy right now, but that's because they work.  I've been using this one for a while now and I really like it.  My skin soaks it up really quickly.  For super dry days, use your Cetaphil first and then top with this oil.  The oil traps in the moisture from the lotion.

3.  This one is super budget friendly: Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil with Ginseng.  I use this all over: hair, face, body.  Like the facial oil, you can layer this over your normal body lotion for baby soft skin.  Find it in the African American beauty section of your local drug store for a mere $2!  And take a minute to look at the ingredients.  Guess what?  You can pronounce them all.

4.  Does your scalp get itchy in the winter?  Mine does.  Like.......crazy itchy.  Embarrassingly itchy.  I started using Head and Shoulders last year and I've never looked back.  I always thought it was just for dandruff, but it really soothes an itchy scalp.

5.  I'm a huge fan of Bare Minerals make-up.  It's the best.  But in the winter, I need something a little more moisturizing.  So I switch to a tinted moisturizer.  Recently I've been using CoverGirl BB Cream, but I also really like Clinique Super City Block SPF 40.  Both are great, but the CoverGirl is cheaper and the Clinique has a higher SPF.  So they tie.

6.  Another classic: Aquaphor Lip Repair.  It works.  Nuff said.

Also, remember to take your vitamins!  This makes a huge difference in my skin.  Take a multivitamin (my doctor husband recommends a chewable vitamin like Flinstones vitamins because your body really absorbs them.) and take a Flax Oil capsule every day.  And stay hydrated!  Be sure to drink water in between all of those pumpkin lattes, chai teas, and holiday cocktails!

And there you have it!  My winter stand-by's.

Anyone else have any winter tips?

1 comment:

  1. Vouching for Africa's Best here. Great, super stuff. And not just for winter. Good for bug bites, moles, and just about any other skin related issue.

    ReplyDelete