Thursday, January 16, 2014

Blueberry Corn Muffins


So, it's Christmas Eve, and I'm sitting on my in-laws' couch watching the Food Network. Not a very Christmas-y thing to do, but I don't have cable, so any chance I get to watch the Food Network, I take it. The Pioneer Woman happened to be on. I've seen her blog (of course) but I had never watched her show. A mere ten minutes of watching and my mind was blown by the most simply amazing recipe ever: Blueberry Corn Muffins.

BLUEBERRY CORN MUFFINS!

Where have these been all my life?!

Take two super awesome things, put them together and what do you get? Something way awesomer!

I didn't use her recipe, I just stole the concept. I have a great cornbread recipe that I just added a cup of blueberries to.

My usual go-to blueberry muffin recipe is a great one by Martha Stewart. However, they are very involved. You have to cream the butter and sugar, and then alternate adding the wet and dry ingredients in parts (it's actually structured like a cake recipe, which is why it is so delicious). Then, on top of all that, they cook for about 45 minutes! What's great about this recipe is how simple and quick it is. I made these muffins with less than ten minutes hands-on time and then they are in the oven for 25 minutes. These Blueberry Corn Muffins are just as delicious as Martha Stewarts, but so much easier.

Some people are Jiffy Cornbread purists. My mom swears by Jiffy cornbread. I swear by the recipe on the back of the Quaker cornmeal box. It's perfectly sweetened and has a great texture. I actually buy Kroger corn meal, but I keep the Quaker package around just for the recipe. But feel free to use Jiffy if you want. Cornbread is really easy to make, so Jiffy isn't really saving you many steps.

Blueberry Corn Muffins. What more can I say? This is an instant classic.

Recipe adapted from Quaker's cornbread recipe

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup Corn Meal
1/4 cup sugar (plus more for sprinkling tops of muffins)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen is fine. The Pioneer Woman used dried, which seems like a great idea, but they are pricier when dried)

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Combine first 5 ingredients (flour through salt) and whisk together. Mix your remaining ingredients in a separate bowl. Fold your wet ingredients into your dry ingredients using a spoon or rubber spatula.

Grease a muffin tin, or add those little muffin papers to a muffin tin. My batter made 9 large muffins. Distribute batter evenly among 9 muffin tins. Sprinkle generously with sugar (don't skip this step! The sugar makes a nice sweet crust on the tops of the muffins).

Bake muffins for 25 minutes. Get ready to be shocked by how great these are. I can't believe I had never thought of this before. I'm in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment