Thursday, January 30, 2014

Doughnut Muffins


If I ever wrote a cookbook, I would make sure that every recipe had a picture to accompany it. One of my biggest pet peeves (besides Netflix constantly asking me if I'm still watching. Netflix, when has the answer ever been no?) is a recipe in a cookbook that has no picture. How am I supposed to know if I want to cook it or not!? It's just an empty page full of numbers and ingredients and oven temperatures and it's just depressing. Yes, I know this is a bit ridiculous. I mean, I order food on a menu without a picture. But I never make a recipe in a cookbook that has no picture. Well, never until now.

Two words: Doughnut Muffins.

No need for a picture. I was immediately intrigued. Doughnut muffins? What the hell is a doughnut muffin and where can I get one right now?!

I was a bit skeptical. The little blurb at the top of the recipe said that these muffins taste exactly like cake doughnuts. While I wanted this to be true, I was pretty sure they would just taste like cupcakes. And while a cupcake is delicious, it will never touch a cake doughnut (cake doughnuts are the most delicious food on earth, closely followed by crab legs and brie cheese. I can never say no to a cake doughnut).

The verdict: these taste exactly like cake doughnuts. Exactly. They even dunk like a doughnut. I almost wish I had never made them. They are very simple, quick to make, and are made with ingredients I always have on hand. Which means I will probably start making them all the time.

Give these a try next time you get a doughnut craving (so, later this afternoon). They aren't exactly healthy, but at least they aren't fried, right?

Doughnut Muffins (from Bromberg Bros. Blue Ribbon Cookbook)

3 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup whole milk
2 tablespoons buttermilk
1 1/4 sticks unsalted butter
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
2 large eggs

Coating
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 stick butter (this is a bit excessive, so if you don't have a whole stick, don't worry about it. I used about 1/4 of a stick)

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Grease and flour a 12 cup muffin tin. (These would also be great as mini muffins, or as mini bundt cakes).

In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, and baking soda. In a separate bowl, whisk together milk and buttermilk. (I never have buttermilk on hand, so I just used 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons regular milk, and added a tablespoon of vinegar to it. Let it sit for five minutes and you are good to go).

Beat butter and sugar in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on high for about 5 minutes. The mixture should turn a pale yellow color and be a bit fluffy. Sometimes my butter and sugar aren't as fluffy as I would like. As long as you beat it for at least five minutes, you should be fine. Sometimes butter is just funny like that. Then, beat in your eggs one at a time until just combined.

With the mixer of low speed, add 1/4 of the dry ingredients to the butter/sugar/egg mixture. Beat in 1/3 of the milk mixture. Continue to alternate adding ingredients until all are incorporated, ending with flour. Don't overmix!

Fill your muffin tins just to the rim with batter. The batter is very thick, and doesn't smooth out as it is baked. So, if you want your muffins to be prettier than mine, use an ice cream scoop to get nice rounded muffins. Bake until lightly golden, about 15 or 20 minutes.

You are supposed to let the muffins cool on a wire rack, and then coat them with melted butter and top with cinnamon and sugar. I was so eager to eat these that I just brushed them with butter while still in the pan and doused them in cinnamon and sugar. You'll probably be in the same boat as I was.

I'm so glad I didn't let the lack of a picture keep me from making these muffins. I'm starting to wonder what other treasures are waiting for me in my other cookbooks. You know what they say, never judge a recipe by the fact that it has no picture to show you how delicious it is. Ok, maybe they don't say that, but that is now the proverb that I will cook by!

No comments:

Post a Comment