Thursday, January 9, 2014

"Is That Your Grandma's Coat"





I wore this all day Tuesday, which was my 26th birthday! My husband and I don't generally give each other birthday presents; we always spend the whole day together doing all of the things that the birthday boy/girl wants to do. And since it is bitter cold here in Memphis, a large, ultra-warm, and very outrageous coat was in order (especially since I'm still fighting off this cold, but that's not gonna stop me from having a good birthday). It was perfect for a long lunch at Hog and Hominy, a little afternoon shopping, and then 2 for 1 margaritas at Swanky's with friends that night.

The whole day, I kept singing Macklemore's Thrift Shop, because this coat made me think of the little girl in the end of the song that says, "is that your grandma's coat?" (possibly the cutest thing ever!). This coat actually was my grandmother's coat. Like most grandmother's, mine is constantly worried about if I have enough winter sweaters, scarves, coats, balaclavas, etc. So she brought over this coat that she hardly ever wears to see if I wanted it and I immediately fell in love! It's just the right mix of fabulous and ridiculous. And it is totally impenetrable to the cold.

One of my New Year's Resolutions (I always have about 15) was to start dressing more like myself. My style really evolved in 2013, but I also became a little timid when dressing. I found myself worrying about what other women at parties or events would be wearing and what people would think of my outfit. Consequently, I was dressing more to fit in than stand out. But that is not my style. So, I'm looking forward to a year of more outfit posts like this one! I love this whole look: it's stylish, it's bold, and I felt great all day. What more can you ask for?

Anyone else have any fashion/beauty resolutions this year?

Coat: Vintage, Blouse: Forever 21, Skinny Jeans: BDG via Urban Outfitters, Tights: Old, Boots: Zara (similar on sale now!), Sunglasses: Urban Outfitters

1 comment:

  1. Love it. Love it. Love it.

    And your grandmother would be so proud.

    ReplyDelete