Sunday, January 5, 2014

Trying Something New: Serrano Peppers


Well, I have a cold. Not just any cold, this may be the worst cold I have ever had. I don't get any better or worse, I just maintain a constant state of awful. We're on day five of laying on the couch, marathoning Monarch of the Glen (it's not very good, don't watch it), and constant tea drinking, and the only thing I've been able to get off of the couch to do is make some Turkey Noodle Soup (yes, I said turkey). Probably because I needed it so badly.

Now, because of the major blockage in my head, nose, and throat I can't seem to taste anything. So when I was planning this soup, I knew I wanted it to be hot. Like.....really hot. So I did a little homework. I knew that jalepenos weren't going to cut it, but I was terrified of jumping into habeneros. I found a nice little chart that ranked peppers by their spiciness, and found that serranos were a step up from jalepenos  (the chart is based on a logarithmic scale, so really serranos are more like ten steps up from jalepenos. Or something like that, I'm horrible at math. So be careful). I knew my local grocery store stocked them, so off I went! I pulled myself off of the couch, wrapped myself in as many scarves and jackets as I could find, put on some lipstick (this was fruitless, I looked like a zombie werewolf) and went to the store for my peppers.

When I first cut into the pepper, I could tell that it was very hot. I could feel it in the air; my eyes started tingling and it made me cough a little bit. Once again, be careful! I bought three peppers, but after cutting into one, I decided that for a first-timer, one was plenty.

My final verdict: loved them!  If you're over jalepenos, this is your new pepper. It's very hot and very flavorful.

So, onto my soup. I used turkey instead of chicken, because after the New Year turkeys were on sale (like super duper sale, 78 cents a pound), and I bought one. I roasted it up, stripped all the meat off, and froze it in individual bags. Then I took the bones and made a ton of stock. Oh yeah. Swoopin' on some deals. I love it in this soup, because it didn't dry out like chicken can. And I just love turkey, I never get enough at Thanksgiving.

Spicy Turkey Noodle Soup

So, here's what you need:

2 carrots
1 onion
2 celery stalks
2 garlic cloves
1 serrano pepper
1 jalepeno pepper
4 cups turkey (or chicken) stock
about 1 pound cooked turkey (or chicken), shredded
about 3 tablespoons salt
about 2 teaspoons pepper
about 2 teaspoons thyme
1 dried pepper (it doesn't matter what kind of pepper, just whatever your grocery store has)
macaroni noodles (I like a lot of noodles, so I used about 4 big handfuls)

Ok! Let's pull our sick butts off the couch and make soup!

First, cut up your onion, carrots, and celery. I like chunky soup, so I went with bigger pieces. But it's totally up to you.
Now, add a little oil to a soup pot, and saute these vegetables on medium-high heat for about 8 minutes. While that is cooking, mince up your garlic and pepper. Be careful! Don't touch your eyes, mouth or nose!
Add your minced garlic and peppers to the pot and let saute for another minute or two. Then add your stock, turkey, and seasonings, and dried pepper. Let this simmer on a low heat for 15 to 30 minutes, just to let the flavors get to know each other.

When you are ready to eat your soup, turn the heat up to medium and add the macaroni noodles. These will take about 8 to ten minutes to cook. When the noodles are done, you're good to go.

Very simple, tasty Turkey Noodle Soup. So simple, you can make it while you are sick, as I did. I added a lot of salt, because when I'm sick I want salty food, but feel free to adjust that, as well as all of the seasonings. Taste your broth and see if it is seasoned well, and then adjust. You can always add a little water or stock if your soup isn't wet enough, but be sure to taste and reseason after you do this.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I want some of that for dinner. I would probably cure me.

    Beam some of that to my house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With some of your choco tacos on the side.

    ReplyDelete