Friday, February 28, 2014

Maybe The Best Cookie Ever....


I went for a run the other day.

Pause for reaction.....

I don't run. I am very active. I try to go to the gym on a regular basis. I love to walk for hours around my neighborhood. I do yoga at home. But I do not run. In my opinion, if I can feel my knees and shins screaming at me the whole time, it's probably not good for me.

However, the other day I was just feeling like I needed to run. Don't ask me why, I just needed to do it. Like it would be cathartic or something. So I ran.

Then I came home and made these cookies. So...........Yeah. I guess I felt like I deserved them or something? My brain is weird. Why would  you run and then make cookies? Shouldn't I have eaten vegetables instead? Or a chicken breast or something? Whatever. I made cookies.

These are my new all-time favorite cookies. I'm not a huge cookie person (pausing again for reaction......I told you, I'm a weirdo). But this salty, chocolately, buttery concoction? This would turn anyone into a cookie person. They look like normal cookies right? But wait, what's that crunchy white stuff in the middle? Oh yeah. THAT'S BUTTERED POPCORN! Brilliant! Genius! Four stars! I'm just going to start putting popcorn in everything I bake. Popcorn and whiskey.

Make these cookies. And be sure to eat some of the cookie dough (does that even need to be said?). It's so good. No need to go for a run before.

I got this recipe from Joy the Baker. She's the bomb. Joy pops her own popcorn and adds butter to it. I just threw a bag of microwave popcorn in the microwave. Just use whatever you've got.

Buttered Popcorn Chocolate Chip Cookies (from Joy the Baker)

1 bag of microwave popcorn, popped according to directions

1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature

1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed

1/3 cup granulated sugar

1 large egg

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup coarsely chopped dark chocolate (I just used semi-sweet chocolate chips)

coarse sea salt for sprinkling

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.

Add all of your sugars and butter to the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat for at least 5 minutes on high speed until fluffy. Add your egg and vanilla extract and beat for another minute on medium speed. Now add your flour, baking soda, and salt and mix on a low speed until just combined. Add four cups of microwave popcorn and fold into the batter with a rubber spatula. The popcorn will break down a little bit, but that's fine. This will seem like way too much popcorn, but just keep working it in. Once the popcorn is evenly distributed, fold in the chocolate.

Eat a big spoonful of cookie dough. This step is very important.

Now, spoon cookie dough onto your cookie sheets in big heaps. I like to shape my cookies into balls and then press them down and shape them a bit. Try and make them all about the same size, they will cook more evenly. Ideally, you should weigh out your cookie dough so that they are all exactly the same size. But, ain't nobody got time for that.

Sprinkle cookies with sea salt. I'm a big salty/sweet kinda girl, so I go a bit crazy with the salt. But this is really up to you.

Bake cookies for 10 to 13 minutes. Always take your cookies out a little bit earlier than you think. I cook my cookies until the edges are BARELY brown. BARELY! But if they look gooey in the middle, let them go for a minute or two more. Crunchy cookies = frowny face. Chewy cookies = happy campers.

Let cool and devour.

This may sound like blasphemy, but I like these better than plain chocolate chip cookies. But, like I said, I'm a weirdo.

1 comment: