Saturday, March 15, 2014

Beer To Pick Up This Weekend: Dos Equis Amber Lager


I love the weekend. That's kind of an irrelevant sentence, but it just needs to be said. The older I get, the more I look forward to doing as little as possible on the weekend. My favorite Friday or Saturday activity is staying home and cooking a big meal, preferably with tons of leftovers. Then I proceed to while the weekend away watching tv, looking at blogs, and eating said leftovers. The past few months have been pretty busy, so I haven't gotten the chance to indulge in this pastime. But this weekend is different. Nothing to do, no where to be, no reason to wash my hair (TMI, but I know you all are sporting dirty hair all weekend too, so you can't judge me).

Last night I decided to cook up a pot of Mexican rice and beans. So a 6-pack of Dos Equis Amber Lager was in order. I am a huge fan of this beer. I definitely prefer a Dos Equis to a margarita. I know. I'm weird. But there is nothing better than a big plate of Mexican food with an equally large glass of Dos Equis Amber. Garnished with a lime of course. The lime is of the utmost importance. I haven't had a ton of Mexican beers, but I've had all of the usual suspects. This one is the best. It has the most gorgeous dark amber color, but its on the lighter side of beer and is very refreshing. Perfect for the warmer spring days we've been having (thankfully!).  It's got a lot of flavor and the lime adds the most amazing scent and taste. I actually think the smell of this beer is one of its best qualities, so be sure to pour your beer into a pint glass or a frosty mug so that you can get your nose all up in it. BeerAdvocate gives it a score of 72 (which classifies as ok), but the Brothers give it an 80 (which classifies as good). (The Brothers are the founders of the site, the other score is an average of reviews from the site. I think it's interesting when the scores differ this much).

I'm sure a lot of you don't like to cook on the weekend, and I get that. For me it's relaxing, for some it's just another job to do. So maybe a pot of Mexican rice and beans is not happening for you. But you can still pick up some Dos Equis. And maybe make this salsa to go along with it. You have to have salsa with a Dos Equis, at least. It all just goes in the food processor, so it's not really cooking.

This is my mom's salsa recipe. She makes, hands down, the best homemade salsa. Take five minutes to make this salsa and then head back to the couch. With a Dos Equis Amber Lager of course. On Saturdays, it is acceptable to start drinking before 5:00. Says me.

My Mom's Salsa (I'm sure mine is a bit different from hers, but it's basically the same recipe)

1 12 ounce can tomatoes (I have switched over to Cento tomatoes, and I couldn't be happier with the results)
1/2 onion
1 garlic clove (don't add more, you'll regret it)
I bunch cilantro
1 serrano pepper (VERY SPICY! My mom uses jalepeno, so start there if you don't like spicy stuff)
5 or 6 squirts of lime juice (I use the lime juice in a bottle because I like a lot of lime in my salsa. Feel free to squeeze fresh limes)
salt and pepper

Puree all of the ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Start out with about 1/2 teaspoon of salt and pepper at first. It's best not to taste the salsa right away. The flavors really need to come together. Let the salsa sit on your counter for an hour and then try it. You may need to add a little more salt and pepper or a little more lime juice.

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment