Monday, March 17, 2014

Salty Crunchy Chocolate Hazelnut Cookies


Are we tired of salty deserts yet? Well, guess what? Too bad! I'm not even close to being tired of them. Salt just makes chocolate taste better. It just does.

About once a week, my husband looks at me and asks, "cookies?" Actually this happens at least three times a week. He loves cookies. Like a lot. I'm not much of a cookie person, so it's not easy to get me to make cookies. But, the other night, I was in a cookie mood. After the Buttered Popcorn Chocolate Chip Cookies, I've been feeling a little more open to the whole cookie thing. I just happened to have a brand new jar of Nutella, a bag of chocolate chunks, and a bag of hazelnuts (I "just happen" to have these things around most of the time), so I decided on Nutella cookies.

Nutella cookies are the easiest thing to make in the world. You're really just relying on the Nutella to do the work: you don't need a lot of ingredients. All you need is a bit of flour, sugar, and an egg to bring it all together. The addition of chocolate chunks, hazelnuts, and sea salt are completely optional. But highly encouraged.

I've actually started buying the off-brand Nutella. I like that I can get chunky, chocolate hazelnut spread, which Nutella doesn't make. For some crazy reason.

Sorry for the lack of green food today. I always kind of forget about St. Patrick's Day. I did eat an avocado this morning. Does that count?

Salty Crunchy Chocolate Hazelnut Cookies (adapted from Ambitious Kitchen)

1 cup crunchy chocolate hazelnut spread
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup flour + 1 tablespoon
1 cup chocolate chunks
1 cup hazelnuts
coarse sea salt for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine all ingredients using an electric mixer (except for sea salt). Place dough in the freezer for ten minutes.

Roll dough into one inch balls. Place on a greased cookie sheet (preferably lined with parchment paper) and press flat. Cook for 8-10 minutes. Sprinkle generously with sea salt. Let them cool a bit and then devour with a large glass of milk. Feel free to add some green food coloring to your milk.

Happy St. Patrick's Day! Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

  1. Spot on regarding the whole salt / chocolate marriage! Look at the recipe for hot chocolate on any box of cocoa. Salt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm. Gimme one of them cookies!

    ReplyDelete