Friday, April 25, 2014

New Beauty Obsessions


Oh spring! The time to throw out the old and start fresh with the new! What is it about spring that makes you want to clean everything and start over? That's pretty much what I've been doing around here. Cleaning out my closet, cleaning my house, rearranging furniture, etc.

I'm also re-evaluating some of my beauty products. I have a few new spring beauty essentials that I'd like to share with you. This isn't everything I use, of course. I'm a bit of a product junkie. I'm trying not to be. But these are a few of my new favorites that are just too good not to share.

1. Revlon Colorstay Whipped Foundation. This foundation is amazing. I've always been a BareMinerals girl, but when my skin got super dry this winter, it just wasn't cutting it (I recently learned that BareMinerals has come out with a liquid foundation, so that's on my must-try list). I needed something with a bit of moisture. I did a ton of research and landed on this foundation. It definitely lives up to the hype. The color is gorgeous! Which is rare for a fair lady like myself. Foundations are usually too dark and look dirty on my skin. The consistency is fantastic and it just looks like my skin. But way better. I'm pretty in love with this stuff. (Disclaimer: In my research, I read a lot of complaints about the lack of dark tones available in this foundation. And, looking at the color options, they are totally right. This is great for really pale girls, but darker ladies should probably avoid this foundation).

2. Elizabeth and James Nirvana Black. I'm funny about perfume. I've always worn straight patchouli. But about a year ago, I switched over to Victor and Rolf FlowerBomb, which I love. Then the worst thing ever happened: I lost it! I was traveling a lot and it just got lost in the shuffle. I went without perfume for a while, but then I tried Elizabeth and James Noir. Love, Love, Love! It's really perfect for me, because it has dark musky hippy undertones, but is much more sophisticated. I just bought the rollerball, but I am definitely purchasing the full size when it runs out.

3. Mineral Oil. Ok, this is a weird one, but I have to share this with you. I was doing a lot of research about skincare and I came across this article on Mineral Oil. It was a reddit article about removing blackheads with mineral oil. I was intrigued. Here's the process: pour some mineral oil in your hand and rub onto clean skin in little circles. I generally rub my skin for about 1 minute. And guess what? It works. Like, for real. My pores are so much smaller than they were before. I do it about twice a day. It works even better when you follow with a BHA (like salicylic acid). Honestly, I thought I had a lot more facial scars before I started doing this. A lot of what I thought were scars were actually enlarged pores. And my skin is so smooth! I cannot stress how happy I am with this process.

4. e.l.f. Studio HD Blush My sister-in-law gave me this blush because she couldn't "figure it out." And I totally get why. The color is very saturated. But when lightly (and I mean lightly) applied to cheeks and lips, it is the most natural looking color ever. And it really lasts. I apply it under my foundation, so that the color looks really natural. I want to give the other colors a try. And at $3.00, I can spring for all five colors!

5. Biosilk Hair Oil Another gift from my sister-in-law. Her hair is the opposite of mine. Mine is thick and dry. Hers is fine and oily. So don't try this if you have oily hair. But for my hair, this is awesome. It makes my hair shiny and smooth. I add a dime size to my ends after I wash my hair. Keep it away from your roots! Not pretty. But it makes your ends so shiny and healthy looking.

And there you have it. My new, spring beauty obsessions! If you try the mineral oil process, I'd love to hear some feedback.

Now go forth and be beautiful! I love you all!

2 comments:

  1. Ok, this mineral oil thing. Like, seriously? I am super intrigued. Does it have to be mineral oil? I have always had a ton of blackheads, which I just lived with an ignored. Gross I know. I have got to try this. Now I am old, so I'm hoping it still works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it's just mineral oil. Try it out and let us know how it goes! I'm hooked!

    ReplyDelete